Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    cairo06 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Infant carseat rec?

Hi ladies I need your help!

My brother is having a baby and I offered to buy the carseat. I am not familiar at all with American infant seats. She wants one with a base to leave in the car and drives a Chevy Malibu. It would be great if it could attach to a Snap-n-Go.

I need to be able to order it online. I still have our Maxi Cosi Cabrio, but it attaches with a seatbelt and I can't find an expiration date anywhere.

Thank you.
    Cristina

DD 2004
    DS 2007

Default Go with Graco

Based on the Baby Bargains book and safety testing of Consumer Reports, as well as my desire for a lightweight seat with bases, I went with the Graco Snugride. It is reasonably priced and works very well. I loved it for my twins!

Quote Originally Posted by cairo06 View Post
    Hi ladies I need your help!

My brother is having a baby and I offered to buy the carseat. I am not familiar at all with American infant seats. She wants one with a base to leave in the car and drives a Chevy Malibu. It would be great if it could attach to a Snap-n-Go.

I need to be able to order it online. I still have our Maxi Cosi Cabrio, but it attaches with a seatbelt and I can't find an expiration date anywhere.

Thank you.

codex57 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

The best infant seats are either the Graco SnugRides (the 32 lasts longer than the 22, but some want the slighly smaller weight/size) and the Chicco KeyFit (30 and 22; most go with the 30).

Graco fits more accessories, altho the KeyFit does fit in a couple of snap n go type stroller frames. If you want swings and stuff that also accept the seat, go with the Graco.

Thank you for your responses! I'm off to order a seat.
    Cristina

DD 2004
    DS 2007

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I too picked the Graco Snugride 22 as it was an A recommendation from the Baby Bargains book. I didn't know about the 32 when I had my daughter otherwise I probably would've gotten that one.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

I my Graco SnugRide32 -- to me, the extra length of use and super easy base are wonderful...
    ...if you do go with the original SnugRide, make sure that it has a FRONT adjust harness (this will make it much easier to place baby safely in the harness)
    DS October 2007
    Busy Budgeted Chicagoland Mommy

Sorry, I'm dense... is the 22 the original? After reading your recs I was going to go for the 32. There seems to be some price differences, is that just for the different patterns?
    Cristina

DD 2004
    DS 2007

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Yes the 22 is the orignal one, it's good to 22lbs, and or 29". Most kids outgrow it by height before weight. Elisa was in hers until she was 6 mos. old. The Snugride 32 used to be called the Safe Seat and has a weight limit of 32lbs and 30" height limit (might be 32" now).

Price differences are as follows:
    A Graco Sungride 22 that is $79.99 will most likely have the back adjust straps which are a pain (this is what mine were, my seat was a gift and I didn't have the heart to return it; DH got fed up with adjusting straps at about the time DD was 6 mos. old so we switched her to the convertable then). These seats are usually sold at Target, Wal Mart, and Kmart. They do have specific patterns.

A Graco Snugride 22 that is sold at Babies R Us and other independent baby stores are not back adjusted and range from about $90 to $130 depending on fabric. Some of those are sold as a travel system and might not be available without the stroller. The most expensive Snugride 22s have the Gracopedic foam which some say is more plush than the regular Snugride, as well as a boot.

The Snugride 32 is about $10 to $20 more than the regular front adjust Snugride. I don't think there is a difference in price in the SR32 fabrics, but I am not 100% sure. They sell some cuter patterns as part of the travel system, but at BRUS I haven't seen them sold separately. Kind of a bummer if you ask me.

Snugrides sold only as a travel system:
    http://www.toysrus.com/search/index....S/2255957&sr=1

Snugrides not sold as travel system at BRUS
    http://www.toysrus.com/search/index....ondary%7CGraco

You can also see the full range of Graco seats at the Graco webpage, and see if the cuter patterns are sold separately from the travel systems, and where they are sold.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 07-29-2009 at 02:41 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Thank you for taking the time to explain it so well to me. I'll definitely go for the 32 and hope that they use it for as long as possible. This is her 4th, but they make fun of me because I travel half around the world with a carseat for my 5 year old. This is my way of trying to provide some safety for my nephew. If I could only get them to make sure the installation is correct...
    Cristina

DD 2004
    DS 2007

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Luckily, the Snugride32 is VERY easy to install. I'd say the seatbelt install is EASIER than the LATCH.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast