SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Meal ideas for vacation if renting a house + staples to take?

I am trying to come up with meal ideas that won't involve me having to relocate my entire pantry on vacation. I need meals that involve few, simple ingredients so there is less to buy and pack.

So far I am planning simple sandwiches and sides for lunches. Breakfast- eggs, toast, cereal and maybe french toast casserole one day. Dinner is where I am a bit stuck.

Any ideas would be most welcome. We are new to this whole renting a house for vacation thing. We did it one other time and I felt like we made a million unnecessary grocery trips while were there. I want to be more organized this time.

Also, what things would you bring from home? I'm thinking things like ketchup, mayo, pb, jelly...?

Thank you for your help!

Beth

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'd plan the dinner meals, and even prepare/freeze them ahead of time. Once you're there, you'll be psyched to have meals ready to pop into the oven each night. When we've done beach trips like that, if you have everything written out in a meal plan, all you have to pick up is fruit, milk, bread and fudgesicles (ice cream requires a bowl. bowls/spoons=dishes to wash).

Only bring the condiments that complement your dinners.

Smile

I second the freeze a meal idea.

I used to do that when we went to my dad's summer home and it's great. Just pull out the meal, stick it in the oven and voila!

Other ideas is to make your pancake batter mix (dry stuff) and measure out just enough for a meal or two and put it into a container for the trip. When you get there, all you need to do is purchase, the eggs & milk & fresh fruit and you've got a great breakfast.

Finally, pasta is a great meal. You can get fresh fish or veggies and make a light salad or hot meal. Use the cover of the pan to help with colandering if the home does not have a colander.

The leftovers can be eaten as a cold salad or just be picked at.

Yes, you'll need to bring condiments and staples so if you have travel size packets, bring those along with you or bring small jars.

Have fun!
    Mom, Wife and Finder of lost items
    AP-er, Breastfeeder, Babywearing, No Circ Mama

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You could do an egg-type casserole, and have that for breakfast and/or lunch.

If there is a grill at the house grill a bunch of chix breasts for one meal, save leftovers for chix salad or mix w/pasta and veg for another dinner.

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We rented a house in Cape Cod last year (8 adults, 1 child) and cooked almost every meal there, at least breakfast and dinner. Lunch was more fluid, depending on whether we were in/out, had leftovers, etc. For dinners, we grilled several nights...burgers and dogs one night, chicken another, steak another. Someone brought homemade meatballs they had made and frozen, and we had pasta w/sauce and meatballs, big salad, and garlic bread one night. I braised a pork shoulder before vacation, shredded that, froze it, and had pulled pork one night with baked beans and corn on the cob.

For breakfast, we just brought a variety-- a couple dozen eggs, bread for toasting, lots of fresh fruit that could double as snacks, a few kinds of cereal, and yogurt. The two things we didn't bring enough of and had to replenish a few times were drinks (both adult and non-alcoholic) and some snacks.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We always plan to eat in 2-3 meals, order in pizza once and have dinner out a couple times.

The meals we cook are simple.....

pasta and a green salad
    grilled (if you have access) or sauteed chicken and steamed or sauteed vegetables

I usually make enough chicken that I can use it again for the next meal along with any leftovers. So the third dinner might be a big salad with chicken, vegetables and pasta.

So our dinner shopping list is usually just pasta, sauce, salad fixings and salad dressing. Or you could buy olive oil and other dressing ingredients to make a dressing for the salad and those same ingredients can also be used to marinade the chicken and cook it. (Thinking something like a simple honey mustard vinaigrette.)

Lunches are simple: sandwiches with peanut butter, lunch meat or tuna), pita and hummos, apples, grapes, bananas, etc.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Quote Originally Posted by boolady View Post
    We rented a house in Cape Cod last year (8 adults, 1 child) and cooked almost every meal there, at least breakfast and dinner. Lunch was more fluid, depending on whether we were in/out, had leftovers, etc. For dinners, we grilled several nights...burgers and dogs one night, chicken another, steak another. Someone brought homemade meatballs they had made and frozen, and we had pasta w/sauce and meatballs, big salad, and garlic bread one night. I braised a pork shoulder before vacation, shredded that, froze it, and had pulled pork one night with baked beans and corn on the cob.

For breakfast, we just brought a variety-- a couple dozen eggs, bread for toasting, lots of fresh fruit that could double as snacks, a few kinds of cereal, and yogurt. The two things we didn't bring enough of and had to replenish a few times were drinks (both adult and non-alcoholic) and some snacks.
    Your menu sounds so similar to ours for camp last week, right down to the pulled pork prepared beforehand! We did(on different nights) grilled chicken, steak, pulled pork sandwiches, spiral ham w/ potato casserole, and spaghetti w/meatballs. We had lots of sandwich meats/cheeses and pb&j for lunches along w/ some burgers and dogs for those who wanted them. For breakfasts we had a few different cereals, eggs, etc. I would definitely recommend bringing your condiments,pb&j, etc. We've learned from experience over the years that it sucks to not have ketchup or whatever when you need it. A take-out night or two can be nice also, since you're on vaca. and don't always feel like cooking.
    ~Leslie

Ryan 8/00

Matthew 2/03

"We can never judge the lives of others, because each person knows only their own pain and renunciation.It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think that yours is the only path."~ Paulo Coelho