Default Single and Double

This past Saturday we had our Maclaren Techno XLR stroller stolen. I am so livid! Who steals a stroller? I know, it's my fault I didn't put it away right away. The frustrating thing is that we're about 90% sure who took it but can't completely blame since we didn't see the actual theft. It was only a year old - I paid over $300!
    I contacted the company and they only made the XLR that one year. What replaced it? I still have all the accessories it came with so I wanted to know if they had just the stroller for a discounted price. They wrote back that they had a few euro versions in the warehouse and would sell one to me for $200.
    The frustrating part is that we only have one car and my hubby has it all day every day an hour away at work. This stroller was my only form of transportation.
    We have a baby due in about 3 weeks so I was planning on eventually getting a double stroller for my 1 year old and new baby. Still trying to save up for the one I want (set on the Baby Jogger City Elite Double - I have expensive tastes). The thought was to put one of the boys in the single and the other in the carrier, until we could afford the double.
    Question is - do I buy a new single stroller...especially the same one I had since I loved it so much? Or do I buy a cheaper one? Do I even need a single stroller? Should I just put the money towards the double? Once you had two kids and a double stroller how often did you use the single?
    Thank you for any advice you can give to this very upset and sad mommy.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

In your situation, I'd ask if the would sell you a Twin Triumph at a discounted price. When we have a newborn and a 1 yo (happened twice now), I've found the 1yo was still not able to follow directions/comply like an older child would be able to. Wearing a newborn and wrestling a 1 yo or 2 yo is no fun. You need a double.

eta: I don't have a TT, but I love my BJCED and BJCMD. They are keeping me sane these days.

jacksmoma is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

i have a 21 month old and a 3 month old- def. need a double and a single. when it's safe for the toddler to walk i let him and use a single but it makes life easier when i bring our double (we have a bj city classic double-2009- love it!) My single is a peg si and i use it when i've only got one of them with me...i guess you could have just a double but i like options It can be a pain to but the bjccd in my car so if we're going somewhere quick i've already got the peg si in my trunk so no stroller loading!

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I would be so livid. I'm sorry! Who do you think stole it?

Anyway, agree with PP that you will definitely need a double. My double gets the heaviest use these days.

Just as an FYI, S&D Kids has the 2009 BJJCD in black/stone for $449.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

I totally understand!!! My Baby Jogger City mini Double was stollen at an amusement park a month ago. I know, who does that? My hubby now insists that we will bring a bike lock next time. That's how i found this site looking for a replacement.

Every parent and child is different, but i"ll tell you my story. My older daughter was 21 months when baby girl was born. I didn't use my double a whole lot the first 4 months b/c it didn't accept a car seat. I just put baby in the travel system and made big sis walk, what a nightmare. Putting baby in a carrier only worked if we were going out and about in the neighborhood. If we drove anywhere she'd fall asleep and didn't like being woken up to be put in the carrier. i didn't go many places anyway with a fussy toddler and colicy baby. You may want to consider getting a double with car seat adaptor.

now that baby is six months and heavy, and older is a little over two, a single is a must to put baby in for walks around the neighborhood while 2 year 3 month old walks for some exercise. I have a Chicco c5 (or c6, can't remember), it was inexpensive and works great. We now have a BOB Duallie for longer walks (Since I wanted to pick up running the BJCCD was out). For stores I put baby&carseat in the shopping cart basket, and toddler up front. The two of them are a handful, so I don't like to go to the store too much with the two of them. Although now that they're getting a little better to manage, I'm looking for something smaller for mall/shopping, like the maclaren twin triumph or the phil&teds.

Good luck!!
    Last edited by sweetsoul99; 07-30-2009 at 04:30 PM. Reason: i forgot something

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Maclaren still makes the XLR, it's on their webpage, and on Amazon:
    http://www.maclarenbaby.com/us/conte...88908/lang,en/
    http://www.amazon.com/Maclaren-Techn.../dp/B00130FRWC
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

jacksmoma is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

i agree with the pp, it is SO hard to get out of the house with two under two, you won't get out as much as you did when you just had one....i went out on my own today with both my little ones to an outdoor mall and man what a disaster! one of them was always crying, things are just so different!