ZeeBaby is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Consignment Sale

Has anyone been to one of these mega consignment sales? Here is the website

http://just4kidsconsignment.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBaby View Post
    Has anyone been to one of these mega consignment sales? Here is the website

http://just4kidsconsignment.com/
    I think a bunch of people in Chicago got ripped off at a big consignment sale. If you search the board you'll probably find it. I belong to a moms group and have done one of their consignments and it was smooth as silk. i would rather stick with people I at least vaguely know.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I haven't been to one run by that particular group but they have similar types of sales here in NC. Watchingthemgrow convinced me to try one that was a longer drive from my house and now we go to that one 2x a year, and I usually volunteer in order to be able to shop before it opens to the general public.

We often do great at ours. Clothes, toys that I'm fine w/ gifting to my kids (like Playmobil sets in the box), etc. It is very hit and miss so I try to make up my "dream" wishlist of things I'm hoping to find. Sometimes I find lots of things on my wishlist, sometimes I don't. The hunt is fun

Definitely know your prices especially for bigger items so you aren't overpaying. Sometimes people price things excessively high or sometimes for even more than they would cost new. But with some hunting around you can often find great deals.

clc053103 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have heard of this one before, but I would have to echo the thoughts of PP. Through a friend I did a "charitable" consignment in March, the woman seemed nice but there was no contract, they set prices, and we finally got our checks over 9 weeks after the event completed with NO itemization or confirmation of what was sold, and the checks were so ridiculously small, the only saving grace was that I got a tax receipt and write off what I lost in the endeavor.

As to attending, that's another story- go and have fun, things are usually priced pretty well.

WatchingThemGrow is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I would only sell at one that has been around for a while and has a good reputation. As brittone2 mentioned, I do participate in one nearby and really like everything about it. After tagging and selling lots of stuff last month, I realized I forgot a bunch of items. Space is at a premium at our house, so I'm looking into consigning a 2nd time this season, at another sale. yikes.

Default Just4Kids Consignment

Well, I came to your message board through the stats page on my website, Just4KidsConsignment.com. I like to check out all of the places where people are talking about our sale. While I understand the hesitation to participate in an event run by people you don't know, I can only speak from my experience. I have participated numerous times in another sale & had only wonderful experiences. Just4Kids is a new sale, run by myself and a lifetime friend and fellow mom. We have worked tirelessly to make this sale fantastic, and are absolutely committed to making everyone who participates in our sale completely happy. Our goal is to have thrilled consignors at the end of this sale who tell all of their friends about their great experience so we can grow our sale into something that can not only help the families that consign, but many organizations who will benefit from our donations. These sales really are a win/win for all involved, but are also an immense amount of work, not something I can imagine doing just to be a fly by night who rips people off. Our website does list phone numbers where we can be reached if people have questions about the sale and we're always reachable by email. It is a trust people are having in us, when consigning their items and then having to wait for a check, but it's not one we take lightly. After all, we're just 2 moms like you, trying to make every dollar stretch. Thanks for reading.
    Sue
    Just4Kids Consignment

ZeeBaby is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks for all the advice. It is later on this month, so I plan to attend. Thanks to you all on the boards, I have become pretty savvy about pricing and most importantly sale pricing, so I will create a wish list and see what I find. Thanks!