Default socks with robeez?

Are socks supposed to be worn with robeez type shoes? My son is 3 1/2 months so I've never put him in any thing other than socks.

Also, when do babies usually start to need footwear?

I'm trying to buy shoes ahead of time when I find a good sale but am not sure what sizes 2 get. My son is big.... 95% in weight so I don't know if that will affect the size shoe he wears. Any advice on shoes for a big baby ( I'm assumming he will have chubby feet?? Though they look normal to me )

I always used socks with Robeez for DS because otherwise the elastic dug into his fat little ankles. I put them on him around 3-4mo with the primary intent of keeping his feet warm in the overly air-conditioned places we sometimes found ourselves that summer, so the socks helped with that, too. Really the Robeez just kept the socks on! But I see a lot of people doing it without socks. Honestly I never loved them and haven't used them yet on DD, although people gave me some really cute hand me down ones that should fit this fall. Not sure if that helps!
    Jessica
    DS 4/06 My Buckaroo "Let's listen to some rockin' out music that's swingy with a beat!"
    DD 3/09 My Sunshine

I used socks with DD when she used her Robeez, just to add an extra layer of warmth as her feet always seemed cold. I would print out the size chart from Robeez.com and measure his feet and go with the size that would fit best, maybe a little big, so he could grow into them. I would think if they are a little big now it would be okay because he's not moving once he starts moving they'll probably fit just right. As far as regular shoes go, they don't really need them until they are walking and then really only for outside or stores, to protect their feet. I would not buy ahead because its best to have them fitted once they start walking.
    Last edited by maybeebaby08; 08-26-2009 at 10:41 PM.

ahrimie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

They don't "need" footwear until they are walking/running outside. But it's just too fun to dress them up

For the winter, I did use socks for Robeez but during the summer, we did naked feet with Robeez. I have come to realize though, I'm not much of a sock person. I wear most of my shoes without socks: sandals, heels, ugg boots. The only shoe I always wear socks with are tennis shoes. I've inadvertently applied the same thinking with DD.

I would go to a store to try some on and see what fits best. A lot of shoes have different widths and some work better than others for differently shaped feet.

DD1 5/08
    DD2 6/11

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

You've gotten lots of advice about the Robeez. As for buying shoes ahead, I wouldn't count on his feet being big just because he is. My DS has always been 95-100% for height and weight, and has small feet. I have never had him fitted, and he does well in regular width shoes from many different brands. Except for things like sandals, where you don't know what size he would be in next summer, I would think you could buy some sneakers etc that could be worn in any season. I wouldn't buy any shoes smaller than a size 4. My son was an early walker, so wore some 3's, but he got a lot of use out of size 4 and size 5.
    mom to Billy 12/07

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have been wearing Robeez without socks because it is so hot. IME, they run larger than her clothes (currently wearing 6-12 month Robeez but 12-18 month clothing). You can get Robeez for $10 during Dillard's current sale.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pharmjenn View Post
    I wouldn't buy any shoes smaller than a size 4. My son was an early walker, so wore some 3's, but he got a lot of use out of size 4 and size 5.
    For comparison, my DS1's first pair of shoes was a 5.5. DS2's first pair was a 7, I think. Both were bought when they started walking - DS1 at 10mo and DS2 at 14mo. I would not buy shoes ahead for a baby - don't know if his foot will be narrow or wide, and what brands/styles will fit him best.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

When ya'll say size 5.5 or 7, does that pretty much mean how long the foot is in inches?
    DS1-1/09
    DS2-10/12

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lchang25000 View Post
    When ya'll say size 5.5 or 7, does that pretty much mean how long the foot is in inches?
    No, it's the shoe size (infant/toddler sizes).
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009