Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Milk container for lunch box?

Does anyone have any suggestions for a container for milk for the lunch box? DD1 has used a sippy cup for 2 years at elementary school, but she says other kids say it's baby-ish and it is bothering her. She won't buy milk at school because she says it tastes funny, which I agreed with at least once when I ate there.

The container and all the parts have to be easily washable. I am wary of anything with built-in straws because they seem hard to wash, although I would be eager to hear differently.

ETA: Apparently, I asked this question a previous time, but most of the responses are about single-serve drink boxes of milk, which I think is too expensive for me. There's a cup suggestion there that I am looking into, but open to other ideas too. http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...ght=milk+lunch
    Last edited by american_mama; 08-16-2009 at 01:52 PM.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by american_mama View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions for a container for milk for the lunch box? DD1 has used a sippy cup for 2 years at elementary school, but she says other kids say it's baby-ish and it is bothering her. She won't buy milk at school because she says it tastes funny, which I agreed with at least once when I ate there.

The container and all the parts have to be easily washable. I am wary of anything with built-in straws because they seem hard to wash, although I would be eager to hear differently.
    The cup she has been using-does it have a sippy type of spout or is it more of a sports cap? Would something w/ a sports style cap be an option? No personal experience w/ putting milk in one but just trying to narrow it down for you

what about a thermos and a regular cup that she can pour it into for drinking?
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

schums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We use the Thermos funtainers with the straws. Not a real problem keeping them clean, as long as you're good about rinsing them out after school. I got some Dr. brown bottle brushes, and those are great at keeping the straws clean.
    Sarah
    Mom to Alex (2002) and Catherine (2003)

"The challenge of parenting isn't shaping your kids to be what you want, it's shaping yourself to be what your kids need." - Wellyes

KrystalS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by schums View Post
    We use the Thermos funtainers with the straws. Not a real problem keeping them clean, as long as you're good about rinsing them out after school. I got some Dr. brown bottle brushes, and those are great at keeping the straws clean.
    This what we use. They are on sale at Target this week for $13. DD started school on Thursday and she said all the girls liked her Littlest Pet Shop cup. It keeps her milk cold all day. She didn't drink it all on Friday and it was still cold when I washed the cup out after school.
    -Krystal

DD 2/04
    DS 10/5/10

s_gosney is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I haven't tried these in a lunch box, but what about the contigo cups? http://www.gocontigo.com/catalog-pro...8820807a9.html
    Sherri
    dd 10/03 "Mommy I made a video for you. If you want to see it, you should go to kids dot org slash Kylee."
    ds 05/08 who is quite amused by playing peekaboo with the straw on his foogo cup

Sometimes research is our enemy, you know? There is a blog post from Feb. 2009 that says the new Funtainers with a new straw design and new plastic parts break too easily, see http://babytoolkit.blogspot.com/2007...and-foogo.html. Anyone else had problems with recently purchased Funtainer cups?

As for the AutoSeal cups from http://www.gocontigo.com, those definitely interest me. Does anyone know if they are still available at Costco and for what price?

My neighbor and I were talking and I was reminded of the little glass VeryFine bottles I used to 15 years ago when I regularly brought milk in my lunch to my job. They looked just like an old-fashioned milk bottle, shrunk to 8 ounces. My neighbor suggested buying bottled Starbucks Frappacino's at the grocery store and using those bottles, which I will probably try. I'll report back, and am still interested in other ideas.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Sometimes research is our enemy, you know? There is a blog post from Feb. 2009 that says the new Funtainers with a new straw design and new plastic parts break too easily, see http://babytoolkit.blogspot.com/2007...and-foogo.html. Anyone else had problems with recently purchased Funtainer cups?

As for the AutoSeal cups from http://www.gocontigo.com, those definitely interest me. Does anyone know if they are still available at Costco and for what price?

My neighbor and I were talking and I was reminded of the little glass VeryFine bottles I used to 15 years ago when I regularly brought milk in my lunch to my job. They looked just like an old-fashioned milk bottle, shrunk to 8 ounces. My neighbor suggested buying bottled Starbucks Frappacino's at the grocery store and using those bottles, which I will probably try. I'll report back, and am still interested in other ideas.
    All of our Funtainers look like the ones they say are the 'new' design and we have had no problems at all with breakage. I have three that have been used for over a year, including drops on wood floors, concrete and tile.

Anyway, have you looked at the rubbermaid litterless juice boxes? Beth (egoldber) said she uses them with milk with no problems. We have only used ours for water so far, but no leaks yet.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think the contigo cups would be ok - I've only used them w/water but was thinking about them for milk too.

but we havent seen them at either BJs or Costco for a long time. We've been looking

eta before you invest in glass bottles, make sure your school accepts them. ours has a strict no glass policy..

I have not had good luck with the Foogos not leaking. And to me they are too expensive to have that issue (more than once, old and new style).

The Autoseal cups are not currently at any of the Costco's I have been at in the last 1+ month (NJ, DE, MD).

The glass bottle idea sounds good. Let us know if it works.

FWIW, I am taking Beth's suggestion and trying the litterless juiceboxes. I figured I could get a few for the cost of 1 of many of the other options, which means I don't have to worry when they forget to unload the lunchbox at night. We'll see how it goes.
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast