poppy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Where do you shop for clothes for 7th grade boys?

I went to Gap Kids for my nephew who is 5' 1" and skinny but it seemed he was on the very end of the scale but the Gap employees told me he should shop at Kids not regular Gap. I'm helping out my sister who asked me to help shop for back to school clothes.

Where else do you moms shop so your boys fit in with everyone else at school? I am out of it since my DS is only one!

TIA!

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't have a 7th grade boy, but it seems like my little brothers were that age about 5 mins ago. I can tell you that by that point, they are usually starting to get really picky about brands and styles, so I'd definitely talk to him before buying anything.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

BeachBum is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would ask him. By that age most kids are pretty opinionated--and brands do matter. In my area, Abercrombie is very popular for that age, so is Volcom.
    Personally I would pick up a few name brand things (like Jeans, sweatshirt hoodie) and then pick up other stuff at Old Navy, Dillards, etc.

Maybe Hollister? They tend to run a little small or at least have more small sizes than most of the other teen name-brand stores (like A&F or Gadzooks or American Eagle or whatever).
    Mom to J 6/25/08 and M 6/21/11

poppy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thank you! I wish he would tell me but I had an easier time getting 3 wisdom teeth pulled. I thought Gap Kids was a little too baby. He won't tell me a thing. I guess something to look forward to when my DS becomes a pre-teen?

I've never heard of Hollister and Gadzooks--is that nationwide? I was thinking Old Navy also. I don't like Abercrombie--I think their marketing isn't age appropriate for kids.

My mom wanted to get him a really big shirt (I guess there are big kids) at Gymboree and I know that is def. too baby, my 1 yr old gets his clothes there.

American Eagle or Aeropastale too. Oh geez - no gymboree or gapkids. Old Navy is OK.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

Oh yeah--Aeropostale seems to run a little small as well. To the OP: Aeropostale, Hollister, American Eagle, Gadzooks--all of these are nationwide chains. Not sure what all is near you, but most malls seem to have at least a couple of these. And I obviously don't have much immediate experience with this yet (DS is 1), but NO WAY would he be comfortable in Gymbo or Gapkids--those are definitely too babyish for a middleschooler!

Another place I thought of: Kohl's is usually a pretty safe bet for most people. He could probably wear some of the larger sizes in the boys' section or the smallest sizes in the "young mens'" section. Either way, I think you could find some decent stuff there.
    Mom to J 6/25/08 and M 6/21/11

deannanb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My son is going into 8th grade and wears jean shorts and "polo" shirts (with collars) - and nice t-shirts

I really think it will depend on where your nephew goes to school -

from what I've heard from other parents, is that Abercrombie is very popular - but not where my son is going to school and they make their son pay for it if that is what he wants to wear -

my son has shirts from Target, Kohls, Gap and Old Navy -
    Deanna
    my three sons
    8/95, 10/04 and 6/08

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My older 2 are a little older 10th & 12th grade but Kohls is awesome we do gap, Old Navy, JcPenney Target. ASK him what he wants at that age fitting in is important. My oldest wears alot of polo type shirts but DS2 wears alot of plain colored T's and short sleeved shirts with 2 pockets that button down the front neither of my boys will wear tshirts with pockets in the front. One likes super loose fit jeans ( any brand)one likes skinny jeans only levis...

With mine its not where they shop but whats they shop for.

He may be an XS mans shirt
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My nephews wear a lot of Abercrombie, Hollister, Quiksilver, Hurley. I think some can be gotten at Pac Sun at the mall (in addition to the other stores mentioned). Some Old Navy or Target if it is plain enough (they would have to pick it out). Definitely not gymbo or gap kids. Good luck!