Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Jenn850 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Homemade Halloween

Does anyone make costumes anymore? Looking for cute/clever ideas for DD who will be near one... But past that, justwondering if people still do. I would like to try before she grows up and begs to be hanna montana or the like.

(I bought the pink fairy from gymbo just in case I fail

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I have a zebra costume that I made when DS1 was 18 months. DD wore it and DS2 will wear it this year.

Also, when DS1 was 3.5, he was a railroad crossing sign. I made that one, too.
    Kris

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I saw a cute costume in one of my magazines recently for a Lego. DS is a huge Lego fan so I thought maybe he'd go for it, but he's not interested.

Here's one version:
    http://jas.familyfun.go.com/arts-and...&craftid=10246

DD will be 17 months and I'm making her a cupcake costume

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Ds1 has ben the following, all made by his dad:
    -bug
    -skunk
    -acorn
    -knight

Beth

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Ds1 has ben the following, all made by his dad:
    -bug
    -skunk
    -acorn
    -knight

Beth
    Ooh, how'd he do the skunk? Especially the tail?

for Sandy Hook

trentsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    Also, when DS1 was 3.5, he was a railroad crossing sign. I made that one, too.
    When my DS1 was around that age, he LOVED railroad crossing signs. And it was the theme of his 3rd birthday party.

I have made 2 of DS1's costumes: the planet Jupiter and Wall-e. This year he's told me he wants to be Sonic the Hedgehog, so I think I'm going to be making another costume.
    DS1 11/03
    DS2 5/09

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    Ooh, how'd he do the skunk? Especially the tail?
    We just bought a pattern at Jo Ann Fabrics'. Dh followed it pretty much exactly. I know the tail was detachable, which was nice. I'll ask dh if he has any thoughts on it and post back if he does.

Beth

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I made DDs every year but this one and am sad about it, but we are moving and I needed to go the route of least stress, which was picking up a cute nylon fairy costume. I hate that plastic fabric, but this one is ok.

Her first birthday she was about 5 weeks old and I was taking a 9 year old TorTing so DD needed to be warm. I found a ghost hat at Target. White cotton hat with eyes on it and 2 little hands poking out. I bundled DD in her warmest blanket which happened to be white and off we went.

Her second birthday a friend had given me a pair of cotton bee wings she'd made for her son, so I bought a black turtle neck onesie and yoga pants at Target and ironed on strips of yellow felt to make a bee costume. I used the black cotton Hanna Anderson flight cap hat with antenna. Oh, and I glued yellow pompoms to the antennas. Super adorable!

Last year she was in love with Abby Cadabby from Sesame Street so I got her a pink turtle neck and leggings, topped it with a blue babydoll tank top 2 sizes too big so it looked like a dress, and made fluffy pompoms hairclips for her ponytails. My mom had sent some fairy wings from the $ store. Easy and cute.

I'm super disappointed with myself that I didn't make one this year, but I just don't have the time or resources to be crafty right now. I love making her costume, even though I'm the only one in our baby group does. I think I get a better fit by making it than by purchasing a ready made one. I also think I save a lot of money by making them. Just about every part of her costumes has been reusable for non-halloween clothes. Plus, if I were to buy a costume I'd want one of the beautiful ones from PBK or something that are insanely expensive. HTH
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I found a seamstress through Jo-Ann's fabrics and she made my DD a poodle
    skirt & satin bolero coat for Halloween one year. It turned out super cute!
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast