Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Quality: Outlet vs. store

Okay wise BBB moms, I have a question that I hope someone knows the answer to. I recently learned the secret to identifying Gymbo outlet vs. Gymbo store clothes. Honestly, I always thought outlets mainly sold cast offs from previous seasons or seconds. It never occurred to me that stores make clothes of lower quality specifically for their outlet stores, although I guess it makes sense with the American obsession on bargains. So my question is, do lots of stores do this? Anyone know about these baby clothes stores/ brands:

-Carters: is outlet the same as regular store and is that the same as what you would find at TRU?
    -Hanna: I've never been to a store or outlet, but have placed orders via phone and see a lot of it on ebay.
    -Gap: I know some of their stuff is marked as "Gap factory store." Is the rest from the stores or different in quality?

I'm mainly just curious as I sometimes shop at stores and sometimes at the outlets, depending on what is convenient. I haven't bought tons of baby clothes at this point so I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable can explain how things work.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

Good question- I'd like to know the answer(s), too.
    The couple pairs of pants & sweater I bought DD at the Carter's store seemed to be the same quality as what you'd find in BRU/ Kohls/ Macy's, etc. However, I guess it wasn't an 'outlet,' just a separate store.
    I thought that Gymbo outlet clothes are just clothes from previous seasons, but maybe not.
    Hanna: the quality seems exactly the same from stores & outlet. I got a pair of pink & white striped ljs for DD as a gift, and when I went to the outlet months later, I got her another pair (bigger size for later), and they're the same (just a bit cheaper). The stuff at the Hanna outlet was just more random- previous season stuff, etc. To tell the truth, even the stuff at the outlet costs more than I want to spend, but I did buckle and buy about 3 sweaters & a pair of ljs (DH was along and fine with it). There's nothing different on the label to designate that they're for the outlets, I think they just send extras there?

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I shop a lot at Carters and a Carters outlet near the in-laws. Same exact clothes.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

ciw is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I've seen the same items from Carter's outlets at department stores and TJMaxx/Marshalls. I do think Gap items, at least for adults, are often different at the outlets than the stores -- shirts are cut a little shorter, aren't double-seamed, etc. I don't shop at Hanna so I have no clue there.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I think Hanna and Carters are essentially the same items - overstock sold at outlets. I don't know about Gymbo. Gap sells different stuff at the outlets.

for Sandy Hook

WatchingThemGrow is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

gymbo and gap = lower quality made for outlets - tags look different. Gap outlet tags have three squares.Gymbo outlets have some dots or something.

Hanna outlets have leftover merchandise and some current stuff, plus special-make dresses with leftover fabric.

Carters outlets are just regular stores, not "outlets" but they are at outlet malls. They have the best selection of Carter's stuff IME.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    gymbo and gap = lower quality made for outlets - tags look different. Gap outlet tags have three squares.Gymbo outlets have some dots or something.

Hanna outlets have leftover merchandise and some current stuff, plus special-make dresses with leftover fabric.

Carters outlets are just regular stores, not "outlets" but they are at outlet malls. They have the best selection of Carter's stuff IME.
    I never noticed the tags on the Gap Outlet stuff being different. I have to go dig out my stash and check! I really cannot tell the difference btwn the outlet and the store. Maybe I'm so happy to snag a deal, I never noticed!

I buy from the reg store and the outlet and haven't had any quality issues with either.
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

You should be able to ask the store-- There is no reason for them to lie- Just ask if the outlet has their own line or if they are transfered from another full price retail store.

I was a manager for COACH and we sent our stuff to the outlets after the season for that item was over. I think ever store is different- I would check with the store-- I know we never hide what we did with our items after sending them (they are marked-prior to being sent there of course).

OK, so the Gap Outlet stuff I just bought does have three little squares on the tag. Hmm...the jammies feel and look the same otherwise and the original tag was the same price as the retail store.

The outlet store leggings I bought DO feel lighter than my ususal ones and the spandex content is different. The leggings are my absolute favorite item for DD b/c they do not wear out. Uh, I'm bummed, I doubt these leggings will stand up like the others. I'm glad I read this thread though b/c now I'll watch what I get at the Gap outlets.
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

Some stores, like Coach, have a mix of just for outlets merchandise and last season stuff from the retail stores.

I know that BR, Gap tend to be almost all made for the outlets.

I am curious to know about kids stores. So is Gymbo stuff all made for outlets, or do they have some last season stuff too?

Our outlet mall also has a couple stores that aren't outlet or factory stores, they are just located at the outlet mall. Those include American Eagle and Carters.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast