Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I make all of DS's costumes. So far we've done a puppy, a cat, Jack from Jack's Big Music Show, and we're currently working on Sir Topham Hat.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

marie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

so far our Halloweens:

4 weeks old - Pumpkin
    1 yo - *Fish (DH was a fisherman and I was a mermaid)
    2 yo - *Kitty
    3 yo - *Wally the Green Monster (Red Sox fans will know. . .)
    4 yo - Firefighter
    5 yo - Dorothy with DD2 as *Toto

The *'d ones I made using the same pattern, altering it as needed. (It was a cat/bunny/lion/bear pattern that I got at Joann's - and yes, I taped it back together every year so I could cut it out for the next size.) I also made the Dorothy costume. When she was 4, I was relieved that she wanted the store-bought firefighter because I was pregnant and very anemic so I had noooo energy to sew. Plus, she wanted to be a -firefighter- and not a princess! I was thrilled!

I really enjoy making costumes for the girls. This year DD1 does want to be a princess AND she has requested a "long-sleeve dress up" for her birthday so this year's costume will also be her bday present from us. I'm thinking maybe DD2 as a frog or maybe a pea. . . hmmm. . .

marie
    mama to
    DD1 9/03
    DD2 12/07

Cute ideas! Love 'em!

jvs195 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If DS picks something I can handle I prefer to make it. I've made a bat: black turtleneck and sweats, sewed on a black umbrella for the wings and sewed ears to a black hat and last year he was Speed Racer so I bought a white sweatsuit, blue polo, an iron on letter and bandana and then bought the toy helmet. He wanted to be a lizard this year, but I just didn't have the energy to tackle it so I found one on ebay and he loves it already. I've made tons for myself (Alice in Wonderland, Wicked Witch of the West, Xena, Marilyn Monroe...) over the years so hopefully I'll get to do more in the future.

BeachBum is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My mom always made my costumes and I was really, really having mom guilt when I bought (and still do) DS's. But the truth is that I can usually buy them cheaper than the components to make them. And I just don't have the time.
    But homemade costumes are soooo cute and totally the best! Kudos to you mommies who can make it happen

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    We just bought a pattern at Jo Ann Fabrics'. Dh followed it pretty much exactly. I know the tail was detachable, which was nice. I'll ask dh if he has any thoughts on it and post back if he does.

Beth
    Great; thanks!

for Sandy Hook

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We purchased the first two (bear & kangaroon) and since then have made:

an indian (my mother made this one just like the one she made for me)
    a ladybug (super easy, no sew with a black turtleneck and sweatpants with homemade wings and antennae)
    a dog (my mother helped make a jacket out of fur and a headband with the ears)

This year I'm "creating" a cat costume with a sweatsuit and some fur.

I try to do them no sew as much as possible and keep it simple...

ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I've made 3 costumes for DD:

Her 1st and 2nd Halloweens she wore the same ladybug costume. I made it with felt - a little vest with the (closed) wings as a pillow on the back. And an extra set of legs - really cute when she was crawling.

Her 3rd Halloween she was a purple butterfly. Another felt creation - wings that tied over each arm.

Last year she was a pink mermaid. I made a long straight skirt out of metallic pink stretch fabric, cut an angled slit up to her knee and added a tail fin to the bottom (held up by her wrist so she wouldn't trip).

Note that all of the above made use of black turtleneck and tights.
    ncat
    mama to DD 12/04, DS1 11/08, and DS2 7/13

CiderLogan is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by marie View Post
    so far our Halloweens:

5 yo - Dorothy with DD2 as *Toto
    Marie -- what did you use for the Dorothy dress? My DD wants to be Dorothy, and I have found ruby slippers and can braid her hair with some bows, and she has a little dog that can be Toto, but I have no sewing skills and haven't found a cute ready-made dress. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!
    ~J, happy mom of two girls, ages 5 and 8

I don't know if this really counts as making a costume but this year, DC are going as salt and pepper. They're both one. DS will be dressed in all black and charcoal gray with a white felt P on his shirt and DD will be dressed in all white with a black S on her shirt. I'm hoping to make some sort of hat that looks like the top of a shaker. I know it's not very original but I love it because the items I had to buy will definitely be used again (black and white pants). This might be fun as adults too. Maybe DH and I will dress the same!
    Heather ~

Connor and Addi (8/08)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast