Default should the Moby shrink after washing???

I have 2 Moby's both were bought from 2 different places. I'm under the impression they are identical styles and colors but noticed today when putting one on it wasn't fitting right at all and I didn't have much material at all to work with when I went to knot it.

One of them has been washed and I'm starting to wonder if that is the problem.

Can you lay both wraps out on the floor, next to each other? It doesn't seem like it should shrink very much...it's just plain cotton jersey. Maybe one was cut too short at the factory? Or maybe your twins are getting bigger

Did you know you can make your own DIY no-sew wrap? It's super easy. All you need is about 5 yds of cotton jersey (100% cotton, no Lycra...like a heavy t-shirt). Cut the fabric down the middle length ways, and you have 2 wraps! No need to sew, since knit doesn't frey.

I pulled both wraps out straight and one is about 24 inches shorter! It's crazy. Of course I'm going to take it back but I'm wondering if that is normal for them to do that if you wash them.

Guess I'll buy another one and give it a try again.

Yea! mine did the same thing. I washed it according to the instructions in the booklet and it said that it would shrink just a little but would stretch out again... well it shrank more than a little and it still hasnt stretched back out.
    ~Elle

DS1: 10/08 (the “tenager”)
    DS2: 07/18 (the wild one)

They do shrink and stretch. That's why a lot of wrapping pros don't care for them (after wearing the baby for a bit it's often necessary to tighten things up because of the stretching.) 24" sounds crazy, though.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Snow mom View Post
    They do shrink and stretch. That's why a lot of wrapping pros don't care for them (after wearing the baby for a bit it's often necessary to tighten things up because of the stretching.) 24" sounds crazy, though.
    WOW.
    That sounds like I'll be registering for an EllaRoo instead!!!!

I just wonder if it's a fluke or that's just what happens to them when you wash them? Almost 24 inches is a lot of shrinking not a little. I can't imagine it streching back out to the normal length at all. Maybe I'll try pulling on it and see if it stretches back out.

If not back to the store it goes!

On the instruction manual of my Moby it does warn of shrinking, but it says it will stretch back. The first time I washed mine, it shrunk a bit, I would say a few inches, but nowhere near the shrinkage you're talking about. Everytime I wash my Moby, it takes about 1 really good baby-wearing session to get it back to normal.

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Mine shrunk when washed.
    Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Mine shrunk the first time I washed it, but the second time I washed it I hung it to dry and now it feels like its back to its original size. Try rewashing and air drying, or wear it a couple times and it will probably return to normal.

It is a knit material, so supposed to stretch. The Moby D wrap has a woven piece on the front that makes it less stretchy. If you prefer less stretch that is one option to look at.
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011