Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default How much does your gym membership cost?

If you don't mind me asking. After a very unpleasant physical today, I'm looking at a couple of places in town. Very much need a gym. The prices vary wildly......

Option 1: Planet Fitness, $20/month, no daycare - no classes - no pool. Can't, need babysitting service.

Option 2: Local club, $35/month, daycare extra, but unfortunately I was a member here last year and just didn't like the vibe of the place. Gossipy and unwelcoming. But I'll probably end up joining this again due to price. Or am I just being too cheap?

Option 3: YMCA, $57/month plus $100 to join, daycare free, but it's old and very busy and slightly smelly. I went to tour the place today and (not meaning to sneak, just looking for front desk) walked into the pool area, then through locker room, past the daycare!!, and then walked past the front desk where they didn't stop me or ask to see ID. I'm not very stringent about security but that's ridiculous.

Option 4: super fancy local "wellness center", $165 month includes all daycare and regular meetings with a personal trainer. It's very nice inside. Did I mention the special they are running now, joining fee just $400?

So. Please tell me what you pay!
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

For one person, our YMCA is around that price. For a family of four (kids are around $10/m), I'm paying just under $100. That is a brand-spankin' new facility that is spotless. I know, b/c my kids have eaten off the floor (j/k -- kinda). Childminding is not included, but is available at an extremely reduced rate for members (also available for non-members who can use the childminding and the facility for dropin fees).

Not sure I would join a stinky gym, though. That would skeeve me out. If you didn't like the vibe of the 2nd gym, that is out too -- if you don't like it, you won't use it, no matter how cheap it is.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would go with 2 if you can't swing 4. If you feel backed into a corner I would look into hiring a personal trainer and have them create a workout plan for you so you don't have to schlep yourself to the gym (you don't need much to get a great workout at home as long as you have a good plan).
    After Dd2 was born I did this and my trainer made a gym and home workout program for me. Best thing I did in a long time (for me).

BTW..I am a charter member of my gym (24 hour facility) and I pay around $360/yr.

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

YMCA- $47 we get a discount through DH's employer (pretty common around here) and have unlimited drop-in child care for both kids. The facility is 6 years old, has a wave pool during the summer and last year they re-did all the locker rooms.

I'm sorry your local Y isn't in great condition.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Our YMCA family membership runs about $80/month, but I pay yearly. Babysitting is included with a max of 2 hours a day. (Well, 2 hours at a time, so I guess you could go in the morning and the afternoon/evening!) There is a room for infants through 6 years and an activity room for older kids. It's an older facility, but clean and very well run. Security is good. They recently received a huge donation, so they've added on and made a bunch of updates. We pay extra for certain things like personal training and swim lessons.
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We have an all-gym membership at 24 Hour Fitness, which means we can go to any branch, not just the one we enrolled at. We signed up about 10 years ago, with a one lump-sum payment for two people (dh & I) for 2 years. It was a large payment upfront, but it came out to be much cheaper. When the two years were up, they asked if we wanted to continue at that rate, on a month to month basis. Well, it is only $18 a month for BOTH of us--so of course we said YES!

We like the 3 of the branches around our house and typically do not go at peak times, but they can be hit or miss. Also, we have been very happy with the child-care, so far--although we don't use it very often, especially during flu/cold season.

I'm not sure if you would be interested in signing a long term contract like we did, but you might be able to get a better deal that way. Also, at least at 24 Hour, from what I've heard from friends and family, the price they first quote you is very negotiable, so do try to bargain a little bit (if you are comfortable with that).

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

$99/ month. That includes unlimited classes and child care (2 hour limit/ day, no age restriction). $125 initiation fee.

Beth

Default Ymca

@$100 a month for a family.

GREAT outdoor pool during the summer.
    Indoor pool year round.
    Free fitness classes
    Desired swim classes for a fee
    Sports classes for kid for a fee (@$40 for 8 weeks of classes)
    Free babysitting
    Nice facility
    Sister facilty is free
    Can upgrade $10 to belong to another facility, but it is no where close to our normal traffic patterns

Discounted daycare available for members

Discounted summer camp for members (may do next year)

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

we pay 49.99/mo for the membership and 24.00 for unlimited childcare. It is the only place in town, so they can really charge what they want. The child care is clean and they only allow two infants at a time (they call in another person if the need to), so I feel that he gets the care we pay for. I do think that the price is expensive, but for my physical and mental well being, we pay it. Going to the gym affects my outlook on everything, so it is money well spent!

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Just wanted to say hugs... I've had those sorts of physicals when the dr tells you to go lose weight and I cry every time.

My gym is the one in my HOA, so it's included in my monthly fee (so I SHOULD use it more often because I'm paying for it anyway). Proud to say that I went today. I just got home and I'm sitting in my sweaty gym clothes on the computer before I go change and pick up DS from daycare.

I just have a hard time getting to the gym. I work full time, which isn't really the problem. The problem is that I live in traffic land and my commute is outrageous. It's just so hard to find the time even for half an hour on the bike... but I know I need to do it. I'm not terribly overweight (size 10-12, but well proportioned), but I do have high cholesterol thanks to genes, so I really need to lose a few lbs. I'm freaked out becasue I want to have a second child next year and I need to go off my statins for that... anyway, sorry to hijack your post with my melodrama.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast