Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Bikini for mom at kid's swim lessons - yay or nay?

I hate one-piece swimsuits - I am disproportionately built enough that I must wear separates. And I happen to find bikinis way more comfy than tankinis. Fine for the beach, fine for hanging out with friends at someone's pool. What about for taking my kid to swim lessons - at a public pool? Or getting swim lessons for myself? Is that a total no-no? Do I have to invest in a one-piece swimsuit or can I get away with a bikini? (Please note: I am in the Bay Area, but I've never once seen a mom in a 2-piece at our kid's swim lessons).

for Sandy Hook

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Bikinis tend to have a load of baggage with them because they're usually provocative.

Yes, I acknowledge there are some that are very modest (I've worn some myself in the past) so I am not knocking them in general.

However, for a public pool with mostly families around, I would be uncomfortable wearing a bikini, no matter how modest.

Maybe you could find a good cover-up to wear while poolside to preserve modesty and the peace?

codex57 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

You're in the Bay. Who's gonna say anything? Are you in the City or Oakland/Berkeley area? Even less likely for people to say anything.

I'm dying to check out that new pool on 19th near Sloat.

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm a bikini girl too. I think I wore a bikini to DD's mommy and me swim when I took her the one time (usually it's DH that does it). It's at someone's backyard pool but I would wear a bikini even if it was a public pool.
    However, if I was taking the swim lessons myself I would most definitely wear a one piece or at least a top that was more like a sports bra style than a triangle top. I wouldn't want to worry about it coming off or getting loose.
    DD
    DS

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I think you can get away with a bikini. People of all sizes at our Y wear bikinis all of the time and it doesn't bother me. I think standard bikinis including string tops are fine and not overly provacative unless you are really big on top or wanting to wear a g string, which I highly doubt. It might be easier to learn to swim in one that is more of a shorter athletic style top than a string one, but that's just my opinion. Athleta.com might have some nice ones.

FWIW I can still wear the string bikini I bought in college 10 years ago, however I really need to slim down again before wearing it in public. I do prefer bikinis to tankinis and need something thats high cut other wise my legs look like a stump if the leg cut isn't high enough.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 09-17-2009 at 06:42 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
    You're in the Bay. Who's gonna say anything? Are you in the City or Oakland/Berkeley area? Even less likely for people to say anything.

I'm dying to check out that new pool on 19th near Sloat.
    Some of the stuffy Peninsula areas may take offense. I went to La Petit Baleen in San Bruno when I was younger as a nanny, and no mom's EVER would have worn one. Not that San Bruno is stuffy, but mom's would come from Hillsborough, B-Game, etc.
    Mama to Bumbee. A VERY busy girl...
    Making me a VERY Mama.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

The Peninsula is a whole other world. I always forget about that part of the bay. It's like a retirement home that starts for anyone who is too old be a 20 something undergrad at Stanford. Beautiful area, just soo old feeling.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I don't wear one myself, but I see plenty of Moms wear bikinis at the swim lessons here at our community rec center. And we're in the middle of Ohio. I don't think it's a big deal.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

I wore a bikini to my son's swim lessons in the Bay Area. It was a two piece from Atheleta. The bottom was a swim skirt and the top was a bikini top. I say if you have bikinis that are comfortable and stay put well, go right ahead and wear them to swim class.

Catherine

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    The Peninsula is a whole other world. I always forget about that part of the bay. It's like a retirement home that starts for anyone who is too old be a 20 something undergrad at Stanford. Beautiful area, just soo old feeling.

I am from the other part of the Peninsula, the ghetto part!
    The area you are referring to starts around Millbrae going south. More "yuppie"!
    Mama to Bumbee. A VERY busy girl...
    Making me a VERY Mama.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast