Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

If you're comfortable with it, go for it! I also find bikinis way more comfy than tankinis. But alas, the third pregnancy really did me in, and I am not about to subject the swimming public to my stretch marks and stretched out tummy! I've been in mommy and me swim classes where some of the moms were in bikinis, and I didn't think it was weird at all. I was jealous, but I didn't think it was weird or inappropriate.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

At DS' Mommy & Me classes, most of the moms were in bikinis - several in tiny string bikinis. One pieces (me) were definitely the exception. I know my DS would have ripped a string bikini top over to try to nurse, but nobody else seemed to have that problem. Go for it!
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'd look at you a bit strange if you showed up in a bikini to a kids' swim lesson. No problem at the family pool, so long as everything that needs to be covered was covered. I just don't see a bikini as practical for a kid's or an adult swim lesson. Maybe one of those sporty bikini (like a sports bra top) but the typical triangle top bikini I see at the pool regularly on moms just doesn't seem appropriate for the situation.

Beth

Well, I think the reason you don't see bikinis at public pools in SF is because they are indoors (are there any outdoors? Maybe in a sunny part of town? I have no idea...) and therefore less like hanging out at a pool in the sun. I probably would skip the bikini for swim lessons just because DD would be likely to disrobe me accidentally. If you don't think your LO will suddenly grab you in the water then I think it's fine.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think you should where whatever you're comfortable with. Personally, I think a sexy one piece is usually much more sexy than a bikini anyway. On my body, I always prefer one-pieces, but I'm not afriad to wear one that shows off my assets so to speak.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think I've seen moms in bikinis at our mom & me classes.

I think you have to decide how you're going to feel if you're the ONLY one wearing one and if some people stare. I doubt anyone would be so bold as to say anything.

Personally, I'm sort of the I dont care what other people think person so it wouldnt bother me.

I cant say I'd also notice much what other people wear.

Do make sure its quite secure b/c kids WILL grab onto your suit and hang on it. and people WILL talk if you fall out of it regardless of whether baby helped or not.

mamicka is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'm pretty darn conservative but I don't think a bikini is inappropriate in any way. I trust that it isn't a trashy-looking one, but a regular old 2-piece. Wear what you're comfortable it.

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quite a few of the women in our indoor YMCA wear bikinis to the parent/ kid lessons, I even saw one dad in a speedo, but he was from Sweden and he was hot.

Wear what you want, this country tends to be on the prudish side, next we are all going to have to wear turtlenecks to swim.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

BillK is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

As a daddy who's currently taking his son to an indoor swim class right now every Saturday at our local YMCA - I can tell you that I FULLY approve the wearing of bikini's for class.
    ~Bill

I'm also in the Bay Area (South Bay, though), and I pretty much ONLY wear bikinis. I did buy one one-piece this year, so I'm trying something new. It's definitely not the first suit I reach for, though!

I would say the majority of the moms at my pool wear bikinis.

I would wear one to swim lessons because that's what I'm comfortable in.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast