GGrn is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Default Looking for a job after accepting another job offer

My husband has been out of work for several months and is starting a job next week. This job would require a very long commute. He received a call about another job that he has a lot of interest in and it is less than 5 miles from our home. They want to meet with him next week and my husband is upset about the timing. Any advice on what he should do without jeopardizing his new job? I feel for him since he took the first job offered after being out of work for so long and they salary is quite good too.

wendmatt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

ooh that is a toughie. Could he ask for a few hours off from the new job and tell them it's a previous commitment? If he would prefer the nearer job he should def persue it. Does he have to sign a conract with the new job? Good luck with whatever he decides.

All I can say is you need to always watch out for #1, because nobody else is!

I say he should talk to the potential employer close to home!

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hollybloom24 View Post
    All I can say is you need to always watch out for #1, because nobody else is!

I say he should talk to the potential employer close to home!

Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Default Honesty?

Could he call the potential new employer and say he has a limited schedule and ask for them to accomodate his work schedule? I would still interview, but at the same time be respectful of his new employer. The new one is the 'sure thing', you don't want to burn a bridge.

My Dad is in HR and has always said an prospective employer should be respectful of your current employer b/c they would want the same.

GGrn is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Yes this is true about looking out for #1. My husband does not want to let this company he wants to interview with know he has taken another job. He also does not want (of course) his future employer know he is still looking!
    Since his new job will be so far away it will be tough to even do a "lunchtime" interview since it will take him up to an hour to get there!
    Hopefully it will work out so he will be able to do it. I think he will always wonder if he doesn't go for it. Thank you everyone I will let you all know what happens!

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by GGrn View Post
    Yes this is true about looking out for #1. My husband does not want to let this company he wants to interview with know he has taken another job. He also does not want (of course) his future employer know he is still looking!
    Since his new job will be so far away it will be tough to even do a "lunchtime" interview since it will take him up to an hour to get there!
    Hopefully it will work out so he will be able to do it. I think he will always wonder if he doesn't go for it. Thank you everyone I will let you all know what happens!
    Could he take a 1/2 day off for the interview? Just say he had a prior appointment he can't miss or reschedule. I have had to do that when I started a new job within the first couple of weeks a few times, not to do another interview, but because I actually had another thing I needed to do- ie Dentist, a minor medical procedure and in one case a 2 day absence for a family reunion. I just took the time unpaid or made up the hours that week by working some longer hours. I think it would be fine.

I had started a job, worked there a few days when someone else I interviewed with called and made an offer. I opted to stay where I was, in parts as to be "fair" to the new employer. In hindsight, I would have been WAY happier working at the other organization (it was Planned Parenthood, they have a long hiring process!) and not the first thing I accepted. I totally agree that he should take his shot at the closer job- if it is better for your family, it is better for your family.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by GGrn View Post
    My husband has been out of work for several months and is starting a job next week. This job would require a very long commute. He received a call about another job that he has a lot of interest in and it is less than 5 miles from our home. They want to meet with him next week and my husband is upset about the timing. Any advice on what he should do without jeopardizing his new job? I feel for him since he took the first job offered after being out of work for so long and they salary is quite good too.
    He should explain to the interviewing company that he cannot take time off right now due to work demands and that he'd be happy to meet with them after hours or before work. I'm sure that this is not the first time they've had to deal with a candidate who did not want his current employer to know he was looking for a job. In fact, whether or not i could contact their present employer was always one of the first things I asked in the initial phone interview. A seasoned HR professional or recruiter would understand and respect this.

It didn't happen a lot but I remember plenty of times I was in the office interviewing until 7 or 8pm. And i remember a few times I had to show up to an interview after hours. If the interviewing company is really interested, they'll be more than happy to accommodate him. GL!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Presumably the place that wants to interview him thinks he is unemployed, so he can't tell them he needs an interview off hours due to work unless he is ok with letting them know he has started another job. The OP said he did not want them to find out he had accepted an offer.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would do what Katie suggested and have him tell his current employer that he has a prior commitment that he needs to take off a couple hours for. And offer to make up the hours, take unpaid time, work from home, etc. When I started work I had many things that I had previously scheduled before getting a job offer.

Hopefully it's the kind of job where they are at least a little flexible. And if it isn't, that's probably a clue that he would be better off somewhere else anyway!
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)