Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Toba is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Any ideas for a PURPLE snack that isn't a cupcake?

My son's K class is doing different color snacks for each week (one day a week, a parent brings in a color themed snack for the entire class). He brought the sign up sheet home soon after he started class and I asked him which color he wanted me to make the snacks for his class. He chose purple (which I'm sure was because it's MY favorite color, and by extension, one of his favorite colors). I figured, awesome, I could easily do cupcakes with purple icing (it's a PM session class, after lunch). We went to back to school night and the teacher was talking to the whole class' parents about how she was mortified that one of the students brought in a cupcake for snack (single personal snack, not on a color snack day). So now I feel self-conscious ... I can't think of ANYTHING purple that would be considered healthy, other than a plum, and I just don't think that would work out with 20+ kindergardeners. Should I just forget about her remark and go with the purple icing cupcakes? I mean, it's supposed to be a FUN way to learn the colors. Fun = purple cupcakes!!!

PS: Now, I'm paranoid about what she thinks about my kid's snack every day. He's very picky and will want the same thing for two months straight (very much my kid). And he hates fruit or veggies (so not my kid), so his snack is usually a pack of cookies or 100 calorie cakesters or chocolate chip mini muffins, or something like that, with a Klean Kanteen of water.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Blueberries?

Jello??
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Toba is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I did think of blueberry muffins ... but I'm thinking there might be a conflict with the BLUEberry word and it's supposed to be a purple snack, KWIM?

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think plums could possibly work- or pluots.
    Purple grapes (quartered/halved)
    The only other purple thing I can think of is an eggplant, and I don't suppose that would work.

Or just ignore her and do the cupcakes.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Corn chips made with blue corn or some other vegetable and maybe some dip to go with it, purple plums or purple cauliflower.

veronica is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

rice krispie treats. just add a little bit of purple sugar while you are mixing the marshmallows and it will dye them. I did it with red and it worked great.
    DD 12/05
    DS 07/07
    Twin DS's 5.18.2011

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Duh, yes, RKTs! You can add purple cupcake sprinkles when you are mixing the RKs in or you can sprinkle them on top (right after they go in the pan). I've done this a LOT this summer and they are really quite yummy with sprinkles in them!
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Okay, this just bugs me....what business is it of the teacher what a parent packs for their own child's snack? As long as it doesn't violate some rule...butt out and don't lecture me.

I guess I'm just feeling lately that we moms sometimes spend way too much time trying to measure up to someone else's idea of what we should/shouldn't do for our kids and in the end, we make ourselves miserable.

Sorry, not trying to hijack this thread...maybe it's just me, but if I wanted to send purple cupcakes to school as a fun way to learn about the color purple, then I would (as long as the school doesn't have a "no cupcakes" rule). And I wouldn't worry about what anyone else thought.

My only other suggestion was going to be purple grapes or purple iced sugar cookies.

Christina

lmwbasye is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Grape yogurt
    Laura Proud Army wife and SAHM to Liam (10/04) and George (10/07)

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

fruit leather?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast