Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I was thinking grapes or jello jigglers cut out with fun shapes.
    Crackers/bread/bagel bites with purple/grape jelly?
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Toba is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Indianamom2 View Post
    Okay, this just bugs me....what business is it of the teacher what a parent packs for their own child's snack? As long as it doesn't violate some rule...butt out and don't lecture me.

I guess I'm just feeling lately that we moms sometimes spend way too much time trying to measure up to someone else's idea of what we should/shouldn't do for our kids and in the end, we make ourselves miserable.

Sorry, not trying to hijack this thread...maybe it's just me, but if I wanted to send purple cupcakes to school as a fun way to learn about the color purple, then I would (as long as the school doesn't have a "no cupcakes" rule). And I wouldn't worry about what anyone else thought.

My only other suggestion was going to be purple grapes or purple iced sugar cookies.

Christina
    I totally agree with this. I think the teacher was VERY flustered during back to school night, and it was the complete opposite vibe of her that I got when I spoke at length with her on his first day. 90% of the night was her going on and on about how overworked she is and can't hold each and every child's hand throughout whatever process they are going through (cutting, coloring, etc.). I get that, I don't expect that, and IMO, she wouldn't be doing any of them any favors because they need to learn by actually doing the activity. But she made a few comments that I just kind of went WOW in my head, like how if we (a collective we) were the type of parents to expect a folder with guidelines and detailed information about their curriculum in the beginning of the year, she's not that type of teacher (and yeah, I'm that kind of parent, sorry ... I want to/expect to know what's going on with my kid in school). And then complained that parents are sending snack money in once a day, instead of monthly like she asked (which doesn't affect me, and I get her point and all, but she was really going overboard with bitching about it ... I felt bad for the parents that do utilize the school snack program and maybe just don't have the $13 on the day it's due, KWIM?). And then when she mentioned the cupcake thing ... I was mortified for the poor parent who was sitting in that room that HAD sent the cupcake in. IDK ... like I said, I'm attributing it to her just being overwhelmed/flustered for back to school night. She's very highly spoken of and like I said, that's not the impression of her that I got one on one with her. My DH was very critical of her (which is SO unlike him) and thought she didn't like her job and was inappropriately dressed for a teacher. So, we'll see ... we have parent conferences next month. Should be interesting.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

purple tortila or potato chips?

I was thinking fruit leather or fruit snacks too. Or freeze-dried fruit? My DS does not eat any kind of fruit what-so-ever but will eat the freeze-dried fruit (and of course, fruit snacks, which have no fruit in them at all!).

Not sure they're quite purple as much as maroonish though.
    Debbie

Andi98989 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

In case you decide to go with purple cupcakes ....

http://justjennrecipes.com/marbled-c...rs/2009/06/08/
    DS1 - Oct. '09

How about vanilla yogurt and each child gets a drop of blue food coloring and a drop of red food coloring, mix it together and you get purple? This will also teach them the you can get a certain color by mixing two together. Food coloring might not be a great choice but it'll be fun for them to see the yogurt turn color while they're mixing.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'm a baaaad mommy, but given the OP's second post with more info, I would go out of my way to make cupcakes.

Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Here is a purple drink for you while you make your purple cupcakes.

http://www.thepurplestore.com/recipes.shtml

"Purple Dinosaur (Alcoholic)

Vodka, Orange Juice, Blue Curacao or Schnapps Cranberry Juice Wildberry Mixer
    Pour equal amounts of orange and cranberry juice. Add 1/3 each of Vodka, Blue Curacao (or Schnapps) and Wildberry Mixer.

Serve on the rocks."
    Jenn
    M - my 7 yo ADHD/anxiety monkey.
    TT - my 4yo tiny terror.

"Swimming is not a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That’s just common sense!" "I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights." “No comment” is a comment."
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization."
    - George Carlan

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by veronica View Post
    rice krispie treats. just add a little bit of purple sugar while you are mixing the marshmallows and it will dye them. I did it with red and it worked great.

Great idea!! Love this!
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

How about bagels with purple cream cheese?

Lots of people do green bagels for St Patricks Day. Just mix a little purple food coloring into the cream cheese and spread!

Other thought was purple jello jigglers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast