Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    jess_g is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think you ought to pick the one that you will most likely use. If babysitting is a most then defently check out the babysitting area before you decide and make sure you would be comfortable leaving your kid there and make sure the child likes it too.

We pay $57 per month for a one adult plus children membership at out YMCA. At our YMCA once you join one you can goto about 7 different Ys and use the same membership card. This is a great feature if you have a small Y near you and a bigger fancier one that is a drive away. You can go and work out at the smaller one that is closer to your house but drive to the bigger one for swimming and gymnastics and kids classes. This is what we did all last year. But they built a realy fancy one just 10 minutes away from us so we go there now. At the YMCA you can also cancel your membership if you don't use it or change your mind and at ours you can cancel it for a month or two while on vacation.

Jessica.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Oh, I think that's a great suggestion..... I will do what I can to haggle a lower price!

I also just saw an ad for the fancy gym, $60 days for $60 with doctor's prescription. Which would be PERFECT for me, I'm sure my doc would prescribe. My health issue is a cholesterol of 241..... bad bad bad. And medication to bring it down is out of the question due to TTC. So I'll have to call but it looks like I have a shot to give the gym a solid 2-month trial before making a decision, which is great.

Do any of the gyms have pool workouts that you could do while PG?
    I like the way your mind works - I think that's a really good thought, esp. considering they have the saltwater pool (not that swimming in a regular pool is dangerous, necessarily, but I get paranoid sometimes).

Thanks all!
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

stefani is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I joined Curves, so it is $37/month. Is there any Snaptime Fitness or Anytime Fitness near where you live? Those two are true 24-hour facility, so that might offer you some flexibility schedule wise.

For me, if I don't get a good vibe of the place then it is unlikely that I will stick with it. So my suggestion will be to listen to your heart/ intuition.

Good luck!
    Stefani

Mommy to DS born 5 Sep 03

The special for the fancy gym, $60 days for $60 with doctor's prescription sounds awesome. You can try it and see it you like it. I recently joined a gym that is all based on personal training. I do "group" personal training. I do make sure I go at least twice a week because I am paying a small fortune for it. I also do MUCH more in the hour or so than I woud ever do on my own. It sort of feels like boot camp, but that is exactly what I need. I get a much more effective work out with this supervision than I would ever get on own at a regular gym.

I belong to a "fancy" gym. I get a good deal through my work - no enrollment fee, $60/mo. I can do daycare for $7 per kid per visit (up to 2.5 hrs). My gym has two locations and the facilities and equipment are great. Two of the locations have indoor pools (lap pool, activity pool, and warm water pool) and jacuzzis, one has an outdoor roofdeck pool. Multiple group class rooms, dedicated spinning rooms, Pilates reformers, etc. Nice locker/shower facilities, etc. Almost all group fitness classes are inlcuded, and run the gamut from yoga, step, spin, water aerobics, spin, cross training, etc.

They're about to open a third location within walking distance of my house, and we'll probably go up to a family membership at that point, which is about 2-3x more, but includes unlimited childcare plus DH can start going to the gym, too.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I belong to a "fancy" gym with child care (morning to night, 3 hours max a day). That was my initial draw as I joined when the kids were little. It's really nice, with spacious locker rooms, great classes, clean equipment, hot tubs, pools, etc... You have to pay extra for tennis!!

It costs around $135 for just me, so it's definitely a splurge, but at this point I got used to it so I'm hesitant to switch. It's really popular in our area... in the summer the kids spend time there swimming (I get a very pricey family membership in the summer only but have to pay $50 each time I put them on or take them off the plan).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3