Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dr Brown or Avent Bottles?

I am due in November and plan to start shopping for bottles & nipples.
    I know the Baby Bargains book recommended either Dr Brown or Avent bottles.
    I would like to hear from mum what are their opinions.
    Also, how many should I get?
    What type of nipples?
    How about the brushes to wash those bottles?
    Should I get a steamer as well? If yes, which model?

Thanks!!

I would get just one of each kind until you know what your baby will take.

Or better yet, start with something cheaper and simpler to use and if baby likes that, you never have to try those two.

The Dr. Browns have a bunch of little parts to clean and the Avent tend to leak.

I like Playtex drop-ins with the silicone nipple. So does my baby.
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

catsnkid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I asked a few people and they mostly suggested AVENT. Simpler is better. I am breast feeding but returned to work 2 weeks ago. DS is 3 months old. At about 3 weeks old I offered him expressed milk once in awhile.I started with 4 bottles and have nine now, but I only have 7 nipples that are the right speed. I leave at least 4 clean bottles at daycare.

We are uising the born free glass bottles and my son really likes them.

I looked into bottles extensively since I was on bedrest for 2 months and had nothing better to do I felt like the Dr. Brown's had an excessive amount of little parts to clean (although, if it had turned out to be the bottle that my babies needed or liked I would have sucked it up) and while everyone used to like the Avent bottles it seemed like ALOT of people complained that the newer BPA free ones leaked. I had good luck with both my babies liking the MAMS utilivent bottles. But I agree with a PP, don't by a ton of any one kind until you make sure your baby will use them.

FWIW, when we left the hospital my tiny twins were using the little nurser bottles the hospital gives you with the regular shaped nipples. A few days after we were home, DS kept shaking his head everytime you tried to feed him. We switched to the MAM bottles that have more of a contoured shape (compared to a standard nipple) and then he started eating fine again. So it may take a little trial and error.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

2 of mine HATED avent the nipple very hard .. much harder than dr browns. I found advent leaked like crazy if you didnt have the "perfect" tightening of the ring and for me ahtat was alot.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

I liked (my baby liked) Dr. Brown's glass bottles. They are better than plastic cause they are BPA-free. Yes they do have a lot of parts but I didnt mind them cause I knew it was best for my baby. Also, silicon nipples are better than rubber or plastic. Silicon ones harbor less bacteria so baby wont get sick. I have heard and read that the Playtex drop-in system is good. I read this book called "Healthy Baby Happy Home" that had tons of recommendations for organic and natural baby prodcuts and the two bottles I mentioned were listed in there. You might want to check it out to see if it answers any other questions you may have. the website is http://www.healthybabyhappyhome.com

I'd just get a couple until you know what your baby likes. With my youngest, I had bought a ton of Avent bottles since that was what her older sister liked & used. My youngest hated them & wouldn't use them. Wouldn't you know, the only bottles she'd use were sometimes the Playtex nursers & her favorites were the cheap 99 cent Gerber bottles.

Personally I prefer the Playtex nursers with the drop in liners. Anything with too many parts just seems hard to clean & I don't have time to fuss with all that.

My younger 2 both had colic & honestly, I didn't see any difference at all with what brand of bottle we used either.
    mom to 3 big kids and 1 toddler!

Actually, I also like the Dr Brown glass bottles a lot. BTW, does Avent also makes glass bottles? Are they really advantages to use glass bottles (obviously BPA free) or it is equivalently good to use BPA free plastic bottles?

Avent has a new bottle out - it has an extra part to prevent leaking. I haven't tried it out yet, but I never had leaking problems with the old model anyways.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast