Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    jenmcadams is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TonFirst View Post
    My son received the FluMist last year - age 3.5 - and this year - age 4.5. Both times, he had no reaction.
    Same with us.
    Mom to a DD (8/02) and a DS (6/05)

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

FWIW, the immune response to the mist in children seems to be better than with the shot.

As a PP said, you cannot get both mists (H1N1 and seasonal) within a certain period of time, generally 4 weeks. Since children under 10 need 2 doses, if you want mist for both it can be logistically challenging. So you may want to get the H1N1 series now and wait on the seasonal. Or get the mist with one and a shot with the other.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We got the seasonal mist for DS who is just 2 and he was absolutely fine. My only regret is that now we need to wait for the 4 weeks to be up before he can get the H1N1 mist. Of course, by the time his ped actually gets it in, that time will be up any way at this rate...

I would always do the mist if possible. DS isn't around anyone that is immunosuppressed that I know of, and obviously it's more pleasent than getting a shot, and like Beth said, it seems to have a better immune response than the shot anyway. I know a lot of people on these boards are concerned about vaccines in general, and live vaccines specifically. But, I quite disagree.

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My DD is 3, but is turning 4 in a few weeks. She just went in for a flu vaccine. CRIED her eyes out upon hearing she was getting a shot. Then doc came in and offered the mist. That turned her around completely. We explained that she had to breath in the mist and not cry. SHe was an angel! She does see me take a nasal spray almost daily so Doc said that probably helped.

Does your DC hate shots? I imagine so, and then the fluMist looks like a piece of cake (and really it is).

My 3 yo has gotten a flumist 3 times (last year and this year for seasonal, and this year for h1n1). She was totally fine. (And she does have a history of strong reactions to vaxxes, the MMR made her fairly sick as a baby)
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

cindys is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My boy is okay with shots but there isnt a thermosal free available for him at his Ped so thats why we were going to do the mist.

I hear so may pros and cons on the vaccine from other Mommies and Drs that I am soooo confused.

My baby got his flu shot and up to this point thought my 3yr old would get one too..DH got his but I hadnt planned on getting one and never have in the past.

Have an appt tomorrow with the nurse for the mist if they dont run out between now and then.

DS had flumist last year and this year (for seasonal flu) and is getting h1n1 mist tomorrow.

He did fine with it, no side effects that I noticed.

FTR, he hates getting the mist almost as much as he hates shots, so no benefit for us in that respect.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

geochick is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My 3yo got the mist. No problems at all.

My 4 yo got the flu mist for seasonal flu and H1N1. She has had no problems.

DS did great with it. We had him "sniff like a flower"-no side effects at all
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2