Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Undermount sink: worth it?

So we're considering putting new counters in our kitchen (going from Formica to granite) and I'd really love to upgrade to an undermount sink. Problem is it's an extra $300 to have them cut for that, plus the cost of the new sink, faucet, disposal (which I hadn't thought of), and a bit more money to have them install & hook up the sink.
    Those of you who have undermount sinks, do you love them? Would you do it again? They seem so nice and sleek; I'd love to not have to clean around the rim and have pools of water splash up on the counters every time I do dishes!

Please share your thoughts!

TIA!

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Where are you located? The granite place we used included the sink in with the countertops including the cut out for it!

But.....yes. definitely go for the undermount.

Check out www.marble.com, they have locations in a few places. If you're near one of their locations, i'd HIGHLY recommend them!

Laura

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes, I love it. I have a porcelain sink and would get a stainless steel instead though. You do have extra cleaning to do. It's under the rim of the countertop where the sink hits (where there should be some caulking), but it's not a big deal.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

Yes!! Definitely go for undermount sinks! They look much nicer and easier to clean/maintain. The house we moved into had all overmount sinks and we changed them all to undermounts. We bought a huge granite composite undermount sink for the kitchen and it looks very nice. I didn't want stainless steel since it's too common, plus it was too much work to keep it looking shiny esp. since we have hard water.
    Last edited by lchang25000; 10-24-2009 at 11:11 PM.
    DS1-1/09
    DS2-10/12

Yes, yes, yes. It is great and in looking at homes to buy the non-undermount sink homes with remodeled kitchens seemed not nearly as nice. It is great.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

another yes yes yes on the undermount
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

almostamom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Another yes vote for the undermount sink!

Linda

gobadgers is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'll vote for them undermount too. We just moved to a new house w/ undermount sink, I didn't realizr how nice it would be until I started using it. Its great!
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

yes, go for the undermount sink. You will love it. You use your sink every day. It will make your life so much easier. I love mine.

As a suggestion, check the home improvement stores in your area for a clearance department. I got a fabulous undermount that was returned for $100.

Also, check online for sinks or faucets. I got a faucet at a nice discount at www.faucetdirect.com Costco also has faucets.

Good luck!

Yes go for the undermount. We got a really nice one on Ebay when we were building our house.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast