Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Flying vs. Driving--WWYD?

I am going to visit my sister in MA in a few weeks. The plan was that I would drive out with DS#2 and DD (who will be 11 weeks), and then DH and DS#1 would fly out the day before Thanksgiving and we would all drive back to Chicago together after the holiday. I wasn't looking forward to the drive, since I know I'll have to stop every few hours to nurse and will definitely have to stop for the night at a hotel. DH is a power driver who can last much longer than me behind the wheel, so I know the drive home will be easier (and I can pump and give bottles so we don't have to stop every single time the baby is hungry).

When I started researching fares, I found that it would be much cheaper for me to fly with the two younger kids (3 seats) than for DH and DS#1 to fly right before Thanksgiving. And they could make the drive in 1 day, because DS#1 is a fantastic traveler, so they'd only have to stop for gas/meals. DH is even willing to do it. This makes perfect sense to me....except that I'm nervous about taking DD on an airplane at just shy of 3 months because of the flu.

So WWYD? Is it better to take a baby in the car, knowing that she will be exposed to germs in various restaurants, rest stop bathrooms, and an inexpensive hotel, or to put her on a plane for 2 hours?

If you've made it this far, thank you!
    Hallie
    DS #1 5/02
    DS #2 1/05
    DD 8/09

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would fly, especially if it is a direct flight. The car ride sounds like torture to me.

Definitely fly. It will be hard, but only for a few hours vs. hard for a LONG drive with a possibly screaming baby that you can't attend to.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That's a hard one. Normally I would say go for it, but because DD cannot receive the H1N1 vax or the seasonal flu vax, I would say don't chance it. There's a difference between being in a restaurant because there it is about the things you touch and you can wash your hands. In an airplane, people cough into the air and then you breathe that same air. Yum! Recycled air!
    Mommy to my One & Only 05.07

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Plane, for sure.

Beth

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Airplane. That car ride sounds like torture.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

I would fly.

Catherine

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

If you are bf'ing and get the H1N1 vax, you will pass some of your immunity on to DD.

I'd probably fly either way, though. That drive sounds awful.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

I'd ask my ped. I'd be nervous flying with a 11 week old - but if you buy her a seat and keep her carrier covered with a blanket it might be worth it - especially since you have to make it a two day trip. I hate loading and unloading the car for overnights - especially with no help. Even if you manage one bag to carry in, with DS2 and the baby and toys....ugh!
    Alaina
    DS1 12 , DS2 7.5 and DS3 5

Thanks everyone for the advice--I think I will fly. Although the idea of breathing the recycled cough-filled air definitely grosses me out! Great point about passing on immunity if I am vaxed--I will pester my PCP more about when she'll have some available.
    Hallie
    DS #1 5/02
    DS #2 1/05
    DD 8/09

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast