pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Burp rag that keeps stuff from hitting the floor?

Is there a burp rag (or other solution) that works great for a baby with reflux who spits up a large amount each time? Right now, it always hits the floor... and my shirt, pants, shoes, chair, etc. I use the Gerber prefolds from Target/BRU, and have them in three different thicknesses. They don't absorb anything on the way down. I need something that will catch this stuff! I'm getting soaked and have to change my clothes as often as I change his!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Nothing will absorb as fast as spit-up can fall. Your best bet is to use large prefolds (REAL prefolds, not the Gerber ones). They are thick, quilty, and 100% cotton and you can buy great quality ones from greenmountaindiapers.com.

Larger means it will catch more on the way down, but it won't be foolproof. You might also try keeping baby calm and upright for several minutes after eating. We used a reflux wedge for this.

For the carpets: Nature's Miracle. For your clothes: Oxyclean

Thanks for that idea! I found some toddler-sized real prefolds that should be big enough.

Are these the Gerber ones you tried? I just bought two packs of them after reading rave reviews... hoping that they'll do the job.

Yes, I have some of those. I like those for under his head when I put him down (or under his bum during messy diaper changes), but they are kind of thick for trying to mop stuff up or dab at his clothes. I like thinner ones for dabbing.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I sometimes use flannel receiving blankets as burp cloths. They only catch so fast, but cover more territory, better protecting my clothes.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Momof3Labs View Post
    I sometimes use flannel receiving blankets as burp cloths. They only catch so fast, but cover more territory, better protecting my clothes.
    I think we used the flannel blankets that were too small for swaddling but much bigger than prefolds! I also think something with terry would do the trick - maybe try a hand towel (or bath towel depending on your baby )

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Momof3Labs View Post