Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default "Vegetarian" Day

Yesterday morning, DD1 piped up with, "Mommy, we made cards for the vegetarian in our class!"

Me: ....???.... You have a vegetarian in your class? Who is it? Are they sick?
    DD1: No, Mommy, the vegetarian. You know?
    Me: Um, you mean a "vegan"?
    DD1: No. Maybe it's not the right word. There's a day for it, Vegetarian's Day.
    Me: (ok, at this point I'm struggling not to laugh out loud) Oh! You mean you made cards for a veteran??
    DD1: Yeah, that's it! For Veteritarian's Day!
    DH and I then tried to explain to her what a veteran is, but I don't think it quite sank in. I think she thinks there's a day to celebrate not eating meat. Or possibly for being a veterinarian. Sigh.

Just had to share!

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

marie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

too cute!

marie
    mama to
    DD1 9/03
    DD2 12/07

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

OK, that's cute and 100% along the lines of Ramona (from the Ramona Quimby books) mis-hearing the words to 'The Star-Spangled Banner' ...

(BTW, if you wanted to make the word real, I would contact your local VFW chapter to see if they might welcome either a visit from you and your DC or contact your school to see if maybe they would allow a presentation from the Vets in the multi-purpose room or something. We used to have all kinds of presentations at our school when I was a kid; this might be a welcome break.)

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Happy Vegetarian day!
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

caleymama is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

LOL!

If it makes you feel any better, my 7yo keeps referring to it as Veterinarian's Day and she knows darn well what it's really all about. She marched with her Daisy troop last year in the local parade and this year DD2 marched with her new Daisy troop. She just keeps goofing up the word.
    mama to 2 lovely and loving DDs

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    (BTW, if you wanted to make the word real, I would contact your local VFW chapter to see if they might welcome either a visit from you and your DC or contact your school to see if maybe they would allow a presentation from the Vets in the multi-purpose room or something. We used to have all kinds of presentations at our school when I was a kid; this might be a welcome break.)
    This is a great idea. Maybe when we're all healthy again (hopefully sometime before next summer!) we'll do this.

Both my grandfathers are veterans, but one lives a decent drive away and the other is suffering from dementia. I'm pretty sure he'd share stories that were very inappropriate for DD1 to hear - he already does this with news stories.

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

that is hysterical!
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh, and here I was thinking there was a special day for our family!!

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My son knows about Veteran's Day because all of his grandfathers (3 total- one grandma is remarried) were vets. He interviewed his step-grandfather and my father about being vets and remarked that they "each seemed to like the air force different". I thought it was interesting that he noticed the differences because my dad is a pacifist (raised in a very religious home) and is active in VVAW and my step FIL is much more pro-military. Both are reflective about their service but are just from very different mindsets.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

That is hilarious. I was thinking "Wow. Hallmark is really stretching it this time."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast