Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default help - how important is reversible stroller??

so, i have a graco metrolite, which i really like....however, my LO is now 5 months old and he feels small in the regular seat part of the stroller, but i don't want him to have to be in the car seat all the time. also, he still likes to look at me and not out...

i like the idea of the reversible strollers - bumbleride flyer, bugaboo frog, etc. but my question is: how important is the reversible part to you? is it only good for a little while? any other good recommendations for brands, if you do like it...?

thanks! http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...es/waving4.gif

My son is between six and seven months. He really enjoys facing me while in the stroller. BTW, I had never known he'd be so happy facing me until I bought the Bugaboo. I think this feature is important at least during the first year. Later, when kids are older and more interested in the external world, this feature becomes less important.

I suggest that you go to a stroller store and try it out with your baby. You will get a better idea whether a reversible works well with you or not.
    Last edited by newnewsmama; 11-10-2009 at 01:19 PM.

Hi,

This is Rick from Hip Baby Gear/Baby on the Run. That is a very good question regarding reversible seats. There was a recent European Study that stated that when a child is facing towards a parent and there is more interaction, the child's language skills are enhanced then just having them forward facing. This is one of the main points we give to our customers when they are shopping for strollers. Eventually, the child will want to face forward, but at least at reversible stroller will give you the option. If you are in the market, the UPPAbaby Vista and Bugaboo Frog or Cameleon are great strollers. Additionally, the Bumbleride Flyer is good as well and a little more light weight.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!

Rick Winter - the Hip Dad
    Hip Baby Gear and Baby on the Run

I have a bjcc and I love it EXCEPT for the fact that it is not reversible. I really really really miss that feature and I think it is part of the reason that for a long time my ds didn't like to go into the stroller. I didn't think of it when I was picking out the stroller, but if I were to do it again I would definatly get a reversible even if it is a few hundred dollars more (and I am cheap!-it is just a big deal for me)
    mommy to the loves of my life ds (Oct. 2008) and dd (Aug. 2011)

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Have never used a reversible stroller or missed one.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

We have the Uppababy vista, and honestly have never bothered to reverse it, so DS is always facing out. Maybe if we had used it more when he was younger, it would been important, but honestly we just use it like a regular stroller and that is fine.

ETA - most of our walks with him are relatively short (or he's asleep) - if you walk for long periods and want to interact with your DS, you may like the reversible ones.
    Mom to Mr. Sunshine 9/08
    and Miss Happiness 3/11

jacksmoma is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Just depends...if you use it a ton (city life) might be more important. It is nice but for me a reversible stroller has too many cons (two piece fold, small wheels in front etc)...i second the BJCM i have one and LOVE it. get it, you will not be disappointed....if you really need a reversible, why not get a bug on CL then sell it in a few months when you no longer need the reversible feature? I did that with my first baby, then got a bjcm when he was about 9 months old and didn't want to look at me as much...

codex57 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Not important to me at all. Nice when they're infants I guess, but not that big a deal. Then again, we spend minutes in a stroller only every now and then. "Interaction" would be extremely limited. And we have a Cameleon. They get old enough to prefer looking forward REAL quick.

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Welcome to the BBB!

We had a reversible stroller for #1 and liked it but by the time we had 2 kids it became impossible to get a reversible stroller so #2 didn't benefit from that feature (sold the single) and with #3 we just plain forgot about it! It isn't a deal breaker for me and your remaining time wanting it as a feature is probably getting less and less (like if you had bought it with a newborn you could have used it for closer to a year but with a 5 month old you *might* get a 1/2 year out of it).

Have you thought about a carrier for baby? That way you get the interaction and the baby doesn't seem "lost" in the stroller.

Ultimately though, we are total enablers on this board - if you see a benefit to facing baby, we will come up with a lot of good reasons why you should get a new stroller (it doesn't take much to get us going)!

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

I really love having a reversible stroller, it's a MUST for me right now. My daughter is 7 months old and I have never faced her "out" yet, and I don't plan on it anytime soon. We go on a lot of walks and I love talking to her and her being able to watch what I'm doing. So far, she has little interest in looking around her, she's very happy looking at me. I personally feel that kids can get overwhelmed by facing out when they are too little.

I have a Bugaboo Frog and am very happy with it, I bought it used on CL and it's in perfect shape, I only paid $350.

I also highly reccomend the Kolcraft Contours 3 wheel stroller, I had one from when my DD was born-6 months old and loved it. It sells for $180 new on amazon.com, or used they go for around $100.

My plan is to use my Bugaboo until next spring when my daughter turns 1, and then buy a BOB and a Peg Perego Si (both forward facing only).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast