Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default $1200 for 3 rooms of carpet installed?

We went to Lowe's to get an estimate on carpet. A mid grade scotch guard (not stainmaster) is $1200 for 3 bedrooms. That seems really high to me. Total sq. feet is approx 400. That's a guess, but it seems reasonable. The house total is 1400 sq. ft. The bedrooms are about 10x12, 12x12 and 12x13. Any ideas on where/ how I can do better?

ETA: DH wonders if we should just lay laminate. The only problem I see with that is that the rest of the house in done a maple color/ style laminate. So, will it look funny down the hall in maple and then open the door and it is another maple? There are no remnants of any of the building materials, so I can't match it perfectly.
    Last edited by ha98ed14; 01-03-2010 at 08:21 PM.

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Find a mom and pop joint. They are almost always a better deal. Plus, Lowes contracts out their installation--you might as well just cut out the middle man.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I think I remember paying $2K in 2001 for a 1700 sf house - all but kitchen and baths were carpeted. Sounds like a bargain to me. A good pad does wonders IMO. We have no carpet where we are now, so I don't know current prices.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Sounds like a fine price but I agree that you should look around at other places in your area. You could do better. If you aren't picky and really want a bargain then you can buy remnants that are the right size and each room can have a different carpet. It sounds like you were maybe doing that anyway if you were worried what it would look like when you were in the hall and there was a different wood there.

My dh decided to learn to install flooring so he could do these sorts of projects himself. He did the tile in the bathroom and installed a pad and remnant (perfect size after some cutting) in ds2's room. He said that was a PITB but it came to $250 for the pad and carpet so it was a great deal and it looks really good. It was almost $1000 if we wanted Lowe's to install something.

Beth

ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    I think I remember paying $2K in 2001 for a 1700 sf house - all but kitchen and baths were carpeted. Sounds like a bargain to me. A good pad does wonders IMO. We have no carpet where we are now, so I don't know current prices.
    No, this is $1200 for THREE ROOMS totaling 400 square feet. The rest of the house is laminate.

$1200 for 400 square feet of carpet seems like a lot, right?

dcmom2b3 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Just a thought -- if you go with laminate (and I wouldn't worry too much about matching perfectly) you'll still probably want area rugs in the bedrooms. Might end up costing more $$ than the Lowe's mid grade, or a mom and pop higher grade.
    M-H

"Mombee" to my Bunny

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

When we were pricing out laminate, in general it seemed to be more $$$ than carpet. What I mean is, there was cheap carpet that I would've been happy with, but the cheap laminate just looked CHEAP, ykwim? So as far as costs, carpet might be comparable or cheaper than laminate. However, I so much prefer laminate over carpeting (we now have about half and half). We do have two different laminate patterns (one is wide planks and one is parquet) in our entry/living room and it doesn't really bother me that much.

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default I agree, definitely try to go local!

We use a local mom & pop place and lately they are so grateful for the business! Their prices are always better than Lowe's and HD so after a few comparisons, we stopped wasting our time comparing. Their installs are typically done by their own staff and they stand behind their work.

Try to go local, you'll be surprised!

Quote Originally Posted by ha98ed14 View Post
    No, this is $1200 for THREE ROOMS totaling 400 square feet. The rest of the house is laminate.

$1200 for 400 square feet of carpet seems like a lot, right?

Sounds like a lot to me. Surprising, in fact.

I'd try Costco, if you have one around you. They have very good prices on carpet.

But, honestly, I'd go with laminate or wood floors (the prices aren't all that different). You can always find good, inexpensive carpets to put down if you want, but floors look so much better sheathed in wood, imho.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

The first rule in any home repair or remodeling project is to always get 3 bids. It takes more time and legwork up front, but it always pays off in the end.

When we carpeted our basement recently we ended up going with a local carpet store that gave a discount to employees of my company. We got much nicer carpet and great service for a better price than HD or Lowes.
    Daniele
    mama to
    dd1 watching over her brothers and sister from Heaven
    ds1 13 years old
    dd2 10 years old
    ds2 6 years old
    Placenta Increta/c-hyst survivor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast