Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Angel Food Ministries - anyone have experience?

http://www.angelfoodministries.com/

Does anyone have any experience with this program? Several of my online friends have said the quality is good, and now that you can buy supplemental boxes without having to buy the main box it works well. They even have an "allergy" box of breaded products that claim to be nut & dairy free.

The prices are decent, and if the quality is good...might be a good deal at least every other month.

I'm going to give it a try for Jan - for $67 I can get the allergy box, a small meat box, and the fruit/veggie box.

Just wondering if anyone else has any experience...

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'm pretty sure I have seen threads on another board on it. The overall tone was positive. Some people felt there was a bit more processed food than they would use, but in general felt it was a good deal and pretty good quality. I know they said that they encourage anyone to use it, not just low income/needy because they get bulk discounts.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

We have used it with mostly good results. There have been a couple if things I have not been happy with, but have overall been pleased with the quality/ value.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

I've got to find a way to cut down on my food costs. I tend to eat out/buy more processed than I like because I never have time to go to the grocery store...

or...if I go to the grocery store I end up with lots of things that don't make meals. EVEN when I take a list!!!

I think that if I get the boxes, it will force me to "make" more meals and I can buy the supplemental things at aldi. And if I spent $67 at walmart, I would get 1/2 of what I would get with the 3 boxes.

I also like that it helps the community; I can order online and then go pick it up - no mess, no fuss.

My Mom is interested in seeing what I get - we don't eat pork, which is why I'm not buying the main box. IF there are plenty of things I will eat, then it might be worthwhile to "split" boxes with my Mom and give her the pork products.

I don't have a ton of freezer space, but what I have is never filled because I literally go shopping for a meal or 2. I hope this will be an easy solution to budgeting, less time spent shopping, and more nutritious meals! Even with the breaded products, I can add more nutritious side items/sauces to improve the breaded meats. And DS LOVES chicken nuggets!

Like I said - can't hurt to try it for a month or so...

mamicka is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I've heard really great things about it & intend to try as soon as our schedule fits with the pick-up date.

Thank you for starting this post and giving the link. This is perfect for my mom.
    Jenn
    M - my 7 yo ADHD/anxiety monkey.
    TT - my 4yo tiny terror.

"Swimming is not a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That’s just common sense!" "I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights." “No comment” is a comment."
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization."
    - George Carlan

SIL sent FIL and MIL a huuuggeee package of these meals.

FIL, who is not known for liking spicy food or being crunchy, said they were nutritious but very bland and over-processed.

But it is calories that most folks can eat.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My mom looked into these after my cousin was raving about them. Mom has always been a penny pincher She sat and calculated out $/lb of things and found it was only marginally better prices than she could look for on sale. Some things she said she cold have done better on just buying the weekly specials.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

trnrchick74 when you say you make a list, is it a list of what groceries you want to buy or what meals you plan to make that week?

I plan the weeks meals and buy what I need to cook each one. I plan meals that make the most use of the packaging sizes I buy to make it most cost-efficient, eg mushrooms are always in a bigger box than I need so I plan two meals using mushrooms.

I can easily spend only $30-40 a week on groceries for the 3 of us, and we all take our lunches. The most processed food we eat is probably jarred pasta sauce which is just tomatoes and herbs.
    Mommy to Kiki monkey, Jan 04 and baby boy K, due May 10.

There is a blog site, which of course the name is escaping me, that makes a menu plan based on the food from Angel Food Ministries. I'm sure if you google you will find it and if I remember it I will post.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast