Default Making own baby food, but squash freezes strangely

Hi,
    Is anyone here making their own baby food and freezing it in ice cube trays?

This worked really well for sweet potatoes, but when we moved on to squash, it froze really weird twice! When it defrosts, it looks and feels like a half melted popsicle.

Anyone else? Am I doing something wrong? Does something different need to be done for squash (I tried butternut and winter)?

Thanks!

Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I make DS' food at home and regularly freeze squash. I think it depends on how much water you mix into the squash pulp that decides how it defrosts. Last night I baked a butternut squash and put a little more water in the baking dish than I normally would and I have a feeling these are going to turn out the popsicle type. But otherwise they've been fine.

-SunshineAndMe

I regularly baked and froze squash in icetrays and never had much of a problem. I never added any water to the squash - just baked, mashed and put it into icetrays. Sometimes the texture was a little mealy after defrosting, but DS didn't seem to mind.
    Mom to Mr. Sunshine 9/08
    and Miss Happiness 3/11

Butternut squash froze fine for me, but I did not put in the blender with extra water (just mashed with the fork, then stuffed the cubes). Zucchini-type squashes are extremely watery, so I'd steam them, then put in the blender without any added water, and pulverize. It would have green dots all over since I'd kept the skins on. They do defrost a little on the watery side, but I don't think it affects their nutrition.