Default First Years Breastflow bottle issues

I have been using these bottles to give DD pumped BM and it seems like I am wasting a little bit of milk every time. The bottles have a double nipple, a big nipple with a smaller one inside to get baby to latch deeper, mimicking breastfeeding. She does fine feeding from the bottles, sucks it down pretty quickly but I find that milk gets stuck between the two nipples and she can't eat it all, she's getting air before all the milk is gone. I am still quite new at this but it seems like I wind up pouring out the little bit that is left in the bottle every time I feed her (about once a day, BFing the rest of the day). In a single feeding this is not a big deal, but over time this is a lot of wasted pumped milk that I worked hard for! Has anyone had this problem with these bottles? I am wondering if I should get some different bottles with just a single nipple; she is not having too much trouble at the breast, latch is not great yet but she is certainly eager to take it so maybe a simpler bottle wouldn't compromise BFing. TIA for your input.
    big sister (11/09)
    little brother (1/14)

"I guess that's the real circle of life. Your parents faked their way through it, you fake your way through it, and hopefully you don't raise a serial killer." --Phil Dunphy, Modern Family

Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I use the Breastflow bottles, and I understand what you mean by milk getting stuck. Well, it happened with me too, and I would just press the tabs till all the milk flowed back into the bottle and give it to DS again. I would make sure that I would first let that remaining milk go directly into the inner (it's blue in our case) nipple and then let him have it, that way there's less of a chance that the milk gets in between again. But it does keep happening and I just repeat the process. I'm now giving DS formula, so I don't care much about throwing away that little bit, but did care when I was giving him expressed milk. Unfortunaely BF didn't work for us, so I can't say if a differnt bottle is better. But I know other BFing moms who use other bottles (Born Free, Vent air etc). Maybe you could try those too. I was tyring to get DS to latch and thought these bottles might help. They didn't (figured DS knew how to, but just didn't want to - wish I knew why ). But it so happened that he just got used to these bottles.

HTH

I'm pretty sure you did have to squeeze at the little "ribs" on the side of it, as PP says. There was something about it in the instructions -- did you happen to keep any? Oh I wish I could remember it in more detail now...