Post Need advice: Twins - not ready to wean yet, but...

Apologies in advance for the lengthy detail here, but I need some advice... my DDs will be 5 months old next week, and I'm looking to cut back on pumping but not ready to wean yet. DD1 is BF & bottle-fed, and DD2 has been bottle-fed since about 3 weeks old due to latch issues.

My schedule since I've been back at work a couple months now is: wake up and pump one side, BF DD1 on the other side and bottle-feed DD2 expressed milk from a previous day's pumping session, three bottles with the nanny/daycare throughout the day - two milk, one formula (I don't produce enough for both for all day), then last feeding at bedtime: BF DD1, bottle-feed DD2 expressed milk from a previous day's pumping session, pump one last time before I go to bed. I also pump 2 times during the day at work, both sides for about 30 minutes at a time. Total pumped milk daily is about 32 oz, so I'm able to give both DDs the same each feeding (milk or formula), just different delivery method. This aspect is VERY important to me, and is why I chose to pump so darn much for DD2 since the beginning. I have around 300 oz frozen that I haven't even touched. Both also dropped the middle-of-the-night feeding around 11 weeks and have slept through ever since.

So here's the dilemma... I'm not ready to wean DD1 from nursing 2x/day and likewise want to continue to pump enough to feed DD2 milk 2x/day, but I'd really like to cut out some of the midday pumping. Is it possible to BF morning and night, pump only then too (for DD2) but nothing during the day? Will my body adjust? I've had many bouts of plugged ducts due to missed/late pumping/feedings, so I really have no idea how to go about this without everything getting all plugged up.

Any thoughts/advice/BTDT would be great! I'm so ecstatic I've made it this far with BF/pumping for two and I love that I can provide for them so well, but I'd really like to ramp it down a bit. Thanks!
    Proud mama to twin girls Moo and Peanut born 08/09
    and our two angel babies, 08/06 and 03/07

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

In short, yes your body will adjust, but there is a chance that your production (for the pump) will drop below the levels you desire to maintain. I think that it's easier to say that this will work if you want to just nurse twice a day, but the pumping part makes it a more finicky proposition.

FYI, to avoid plugged ducts, take a lecithin supplement once a day. It works wonders.

And can I just say how envious I am that your twins have slept through the night for that long? My first two slept through very early but my twins (born July 27) are still up 1-2 times at night.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Thanks, Lori. I will try the lecithin supplement.

As for sleeping thru the night, we feel very, very lucky. After DD1's bout with colic/reflux and many LONG nights of her screaming and crying until 3am, once we got her reflux meds on track and stopped waking them both up for feedings at night it took about a week or so and they both just decided to sleep through. I am still amazed...

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don't know the answer to your question, but just wanted to give you a big huge pat on the back. I nurse my twins and feel very lucky that they were good nursers from the start, but I could NEVER do what you do - BF, pumping, bottles. I'm just amazed. Way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    I don't know the answer to your question, but just wanted to give you a big huge pat on the back. I nurse my twins and feel very lucky that they were good nursers from the start, but I could NEVER do what you do - BF, pumping, bottles. I'm just amazed. Way to go.
    Thanks!!!