Default OT: FB friend request from a (sort of) business associate

I should direct him to LinkedIn probably, right? Just may have answered my own question...

I'm a freelancer and the President of a company I used to do a lot of work for (but don't at my own request) just sent a Facebook friend request.

Hmmm. I think I've met him once, maybe? We do have two mutual FB friends of people who work/ed at the company who I did know and did a lot of work for and I'm guessing I must have come up as a possible friend for him.

Or just leave it in a limbo?

My first odd(ish) friend request!
    Debbie

Leave him in limbo/reject him (he won't know) and request him on LinkedIn. That's what I do with clients who request me on FB. I work for a company in the higher ed space and, frankly, our clients at universities don't have the same personal/professional boundaries that the rest of the world does. Drives me nuts!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don't accept friend requests from people I don't know IRL, period.

Coworkers at my level, sure, but I'd never friend a high-level exec because of the personal nature of my FB and my tendency to cuss a bit. (Although I do that less and less now that I've accepted friend requests from my mother, stepfather, aunt, uncle and Kindergarten teacher.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It's all about how you use Facebook. I have both "real" friends and professional friends/acquaintances on FB. It is also very common to do so in my industry. But if you only have non-professional FB friends then yes, I think a Linked In invite is a great way to handle that.
    DD
    DS

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think Linked in is a great idea. Maybe he doesn't even know about it, and you'll be opening his eyes .
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have some friends through work on my FB, but I set my privacy settings so that they can't see any of my posts/pictures/certain profile info etc. I work for a bipartisan organization and have work friends from both parties, but in my personal life I strongly identify as a Democrat, so I don't want any slips.

That said, in your case I would ignore him on FB and send him a linked in invite. It doesn't sound like you're even professionally friendly.