Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    NancyJ_redo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We bought that exact camcorder about 6 months ago and I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out how much memory to add and what size battery to get. I finally ended up getting the 32Gb card because I didn't want to bother with downloading the card more frequently. I have used the 8Gb card it came with on a few occasions and that one's annoying bc I think it only takes about 1 hr worth of video on the better video quality setting.

Re the battery, the charge on the standard one doesn't last very long at all. Again, it was cutting out much too early for our preference. So I upgraded to the largest one I think and have been totally happy with that. Note that the larger batteries are actually larger in size as well, which means they stick off the end of the videocamera. I wasn't expecting that. It's not a problem, just something worth mentioning.

Btw, I am very technically proficient and I found the video downloading instructions VERY confusing to follow. I never had any issues with my old tape-using camcorder, but with this one I had a hard time following the instructions. I finally created a short, bullet-pointed cheat sheet for myself that I now follow everytime. If you want me to email it to you just PM me your email addy and I'll send it over.

Sounds like I need to buy an extra battery as well or else we'll run out of juice before we run of memory. Are generic batteries as good as OEM ones? We've had a generic battery for our last miniDV camcorder, which was a Sony, and it was fine. I got it from eBay since Sony batteries were really expensive.
    Mom to DS born on Thanksgiving 2003

codex57 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My generic one was fine for the Canon. Same length. Wasn't quite as pretty as the OEM Canon one (the end wasn't quite as flush with the rest of the camera, but the part connecting it to the camera fit just fine). It's just that the auction said it was for an "extended" battery but it turns out they shipped two regular ones instead of one longer extended battery.

I wanted teh extended one cuz even tho the time is the same, I didn't want to have to carry another item or have to switch as often.

NancyJ_redo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I think the other issue with the generic one is that the battery indicator on the camcorder won't work with it, i.e. the camcorder screen will no longer tell you how much charge is left in the battery.

There do seem to be some listings on Ebay for OEM batteries that claim they have their own kind of battery indicator (I think it's a light on the battery itself vs the usual on-screen indicator) so if that doesn't bug you, it's probably fine. Ultimately I decided to go with the real thing, mostly because I don't have the time or patience to deal with the possibility of a wonky battery.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I would strongly suggest at least 2 memory cards. That way, if you are on vacation and alternate days on each card, you don't lose everything if one gets stolen or corrupted somehow. That is what we did at Disney last year.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2