Kymberley is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default What kind of shirts do you like?

Post-baby belly has me baffled. I cannot dress myself anymore, it seems. I also hate, HATE shopping. Talk about triggering depression! So anyway, I got an LLBean catalog yesterday, and on the back page are their Carefree Unshinkable Shirts. I looked online, read the reviews, sounds pretty good at a great price. I'm not a small gal by any means, so to be honest I'm looking at the XL tees. Can anyone recommend these, or not recommend them? If you have a favorite T-shirt from somewhere else, I'd love to hear about it. I'm a jeans and T-shirt person, but the shirts can have a little something on them. I just want to be comfy and not too frumpy. Thanks!!!

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I love, love, love the Shade Clothing Tees. I'm 5'9" and normally a size 6 on top and I wear a size M in Shade Tees. They are not too expensive -- in fact, I just got 3 camis and a tee for $25 shipped. I probably wear a Shade tank every day - and am wearing one now, actually. I don't really ever get rid of them, just add new colors to the pile. I do a Shade order 1-2 times a year and most of my stuff still looks really great. Another bonus to Shade tees is that they are really LONG, so there's no risk of accidentally exposing the spare tire/mommy flab in the middle.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm not petite, either, and have to contend with chunky upper arms & a larger chest.

I find things that fit closer to the body (i.e. - ON "Perfect Fit") or have seaming (I am a big fan of darts & princess seams) and a little bit of "structure" to them suit me best.

I'll let you know if that changes after Baby, though! (I know I will be self-conscious about post-baby baby-belly, but I don't want to dress like a frump!)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

For shirts I like Banana Republic and Brooks Brothers. I get them in fitted style but not skin tight, darts or seeming in front is a must. I also like BR sweaters with short sleeves.
    Mom to DS born on Thanksgiving 2003

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ruching is my friend! It's where they bunch up fabric so you can't really tell which bulges are you and which are the fabric Form fitted shirts (not tight) tend to look better on me, with the ruching. Ruched shirts and dresses look really tiny on the hanger so all these years I avoided them, until I watched What Not To Wear

Shirring also works sometimes, as do wrap tops. You can find these at Ann taylor, loft, banana republic, macys, etc... They are all over the place! Inc. also has some cool tops that have shirring in the middle. I like those, too.

Before I lost weight, I used to wear a lot of baggy tops until a friend converted me. If it's loose, people will assume you are bulkier than you really are.

czekit7 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I like the LL Bean shirts (pre-preg); great product, and the company totally stands behind their product...my husband had a jacket that the zipper went out on...8 yrs later...the jacket was no longer in stock, so they gave him $80 credit for a new jacket. LOVE LL BEAN.

Otherwise, I'm still wearing my Liz Lange clearance t's from Target.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I much prefer the LE no iron shirts over the LLB ones. The LLB ones still need to be ironed. The LE ones look like they came from the cleaners. And, no, I don't want to know what kind of evil chemical allows for that look.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Kymberley is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thank you for the comparison between LE and LLB, I was just looking at both!