Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Oookie, where the hell'd I go wrong this time?

Fairy? A "my recipe went wrong again" thread? No! Yes, I suck at this. I know. So, here's the latest.

I made pancakes yesterday morning. I've made homemade pancakes from scratch before, as I won't use pancake mixes (bugs). I do a recipe with regular all purpose flour from the Kraft recipes webstie that turns out perfect every single time. But the thing was loading weird and I couldn't get a search box for "pancakes" and ended up using one that required self-raising flour. Now, I don't have any of that, and it said to make it yourself by adding 1tsp of baking powder and a pinch of salt, which I did.

These pancakes were like raw tortillas. Terrible. WTF? Possible issues:

* Not using the self-rising flour?
    * I got my griddle to 350 -- should it have been hotter?
    * I used oil, even tho it's a "non-stick" griddle. With this batch they never browned nicely. They cooked, and they were stiff, but they didn't brown like a pancake should Was it the oil?
    * I also used butter. With this batch, they never bubbled AT ALL, and when I finally said they've *got* to be ready and flipped them,they were rubbery. Even when done, they were rubbery and doughy and disgusting. Was it the butter?

Seriously, what the hell happened here?
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Y'know, I can't really help you here. But I would like to make you feel better by sharing that this is how my from-scratch pancakes come out ALL the time!!

I gave up and now use Trader Joe's buttermilk mix.

Others usually suggest that no rising means old Baking powder. It could also be overmixing. It could also mean pancakes should not be made from scratch when mix is available, LOL!!

Get yerself to TJ's and end the madness!!!

luza is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Sounds like not enough baking powder. The recipe I use takes 2 tsp baking powder to each cup of flour:

1 C flour (I usually mix all purpose and whole wheat)
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 egg
    1 tablespoon oil or melted butter
    1 C milk
    Mix dry ingredients together; mix wet ingredients together; add wet to dry.

Well, my baking powder is ... really old, I admit. Maybe it's time to buy new baking powder.

I'm afraid of mixes. I had some good old Bisquick years ago, and while it was relatively older, like six or seven months, it had never once been opened. I went to use it for the first time, and there were bugs crawling around INSIDE the unopened bag. I was like how'd they get in there?! I literaly threw away every single non-canned item in my pantry and cleaned it all top to bottom and replaced everything. I later learned that this is not uncommon and that it really does happen and it wasn't me. However, that did not make me feel better. And now I check every flour-like substance before I use it, from flour to baking soda, you name it. I won't use it if I can't see into it and check it for critters. And I just can't use a mix.

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Hmmm...that's odd. I saw a sub of 1 cup flour + 1.25 tsp baking powder + 1/8 tsp salt for 1 cup of self-rising flour. Is that about the same ratio you used? Is your baking powder still good?

Here's my mom's recipe for pancakes. These are NOT healthy, but they're delicious! (We go with sweet potato pancakes or oatmeal pancakes when we're looking for something healthier.)

1 cup flour
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1 cup milk
    1 egg
    4 tablespoons butter, melted

Whisk flour and baking powder together. Beat egg into milk then add to flour mixture and whisk together. Stir in melted butter.

I use a non-stick skillet and there's definitely no need to add any oil/butter to the pan considering all of the butter in the recipe. The butter also gets them just a little crispy.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

It probably had to do with the flour. I think the gluten is different with the different flours.

Of course, the last batch that failed on me was because I used baking soda instead of baking powder. I hadn't noticed the problem because it was in a red canister, just like baking powder should be. I made 3 terrible baked goods in a 1 one month period before catching on to my mistake. So, if you bought your bp at Trader Joe's then check the label.

Beth

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
    Well, my baking powder is ... really old, I admit. Maybe it's time to buy new baking powder.

I'm afraid of mixes. I had some good old Bisquick years ago, and while it was relatively older, like six or seven months, it had never once been opened. I went to use it for the first time, and there were bugs crawling around INSIDE the unopened bag. I was like how'd they get in there?! I literaly threw away every single non-canned item in my pantry and cleaned it all top to bottom and replaced everything. I later learned that this is not uncommon and that it really does happen and it wasn't me. However, that did not make me feel better. And now I check every flour-like substance before I use it, from flour to baking soda, you name it. I won't use it if I can't see into it and check it for critters. And I just can't use a mix.
    This happens to regular flour too. The eggs are in there when the bag is sealed. You can kill them by freezing your flour and other dry goods for 3 days or so before storing them in your pantry.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

srhs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Oh, I really wish I hadn't read this.

Honestly, the whole thing with the eggs and the flour and mixes really skeeves me out. Maybe I should start freezing ...

Ok, well, it looks like I had a perfect storm of bad circumstances for these pancakes. My baking powder & salt ratio was almost exactly what Kristen said, I used an eighth of salt tho only 1 tsp of baking powder. But the baking powder is old, no question. And my griddle was greased either with oil or with butter. And the recipe I used had 1C flour, 1C milk, 2 tbl oil, 1 egg, and then I added the rising ingredients. I think I'll get the griddle hotter next time, too. Thanks for the recipes, I'm going to use them next time!

Quote Originally Posted by srhs View Post

Oh, I really wish I hadn't read this.
    I'm so sorry! I should have maybe done a warning ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast