Default Pikkolo vs Beco?

I had an ergo for my DS but sold it ages ago. I want to try something new this time. I am new to the pikkolo and beco so would like to find out the main difference between the 2. I've looked a bit on line but I like hearing from people who have personal experience. It will be for a newborn and I have a very bad back. My DH might be using the carrier more than me! Which would you suggest?

The Pikkolo does not have a firm waist band, like the Ergo or Beco. You can face the baby out with the pikkolo, but this places extra strain on your back, because it thows the weight of the baby away from your body. My favorite for a newborn is a stretchy wrap, like moby.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

The awesome thing about the Beco is that the baby is in a little pouch inside the carrier, making it super-easy to go from front to back carry - you just scootch it around your waist. It's taller than Ergo so better if you have a baby who likes to try to lean out. But it's a little more constricting (IMO) for the person doing the carrying.

The Pikkolo's claim to fame is that it allows you to face the baby out in front carry - the only one to do so, as far as I know (aside from Bjorn which is of course not recommended at all due to putting all the baby's weight on her crotch).
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have a pikkolo and ergo and love the pikkolo soooo much better! It does not have a structured waist belt, but you can buy one and slide it on.........I feel like that option makes it more versatile.
    Not sure if the becco does this, but the pikkolo you can cris-cross the straps across your back when doing one of the front carries, which I find gives me more support with DD.......or you can do the traditional back-pack style straps.
    Again, I love that the pikkolo is so versatile.......I felt like it had more options than the becco.
    And others have told me that once you master the back carry, it's pretty easy to do.

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

I love the Pikkolo too! I have a very bad back as well. I have lordosis and standing or sitting for a period of time gives me a lot of pain. Pregnancy was hard as well... was in constant pain in my last tri.

The Pikkolo was great though. I ditto on the OP saying that they have the padded waist belt to add on if you want it (I didn't get it although it would have helped). The criss-crossing of the strap was great for my back as it doesn't put the strain on my shoulders.

As for the facing out, that was awesome for my daughter. I didn't think that the weight was on her crotch though... I arranged her in a way that seemed she was sitting (Pikkolo allows you to cinch the "seat" part) as opposed to hanging. If your baby is still a newborn, you can use it for months. Main thing is that if it strains your back, don't do it. I used to do it when she was smaller but stopped when she got heavier. Husband still does it sometimes coz it doesn't hurt his back.
    Vanessa

Full-time mommy to Miss Yumi ('08)

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Just want to clarify - the Bjorn puts the baby's weight on the crotch. The pikkolo & beco & ergo are all much better - the infant is in a comfy seated position. They're all good choices.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5