Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Need some new music for me

I'm finally getting into the modern age and have started using DH's old ipod (classic) now that he has an iphone for work.

I have a ton of kid's music (although always looking for good suggestions in that genre) and have been out of the loop as far as adult music, so I need some suggestions!

To give an idea of my tastes, I tend to like "alternative, Emo, or Lo-Fi" rock--Coldplay, Foo Fighters, Beck, etc. I'm not opposed to pop/rock if there's a good hook. Strangely, I also like "classic" or alt. country--Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn (with Jack White), Emmy Lou Harris, Hank Williams, Mindy Smith.

Any new suggestions to help me fill up my ipod?
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

patty griffin is amazing, very raw, soulful folk style, amazing voice. also susan tedeschi.
    big sister (11/09)
    little brother (1/14)

"I guess that's the real circle of life. Your parents faked their way through it, you fake your way through it, and hopefully you don't raise a serial killer." --Phil Dunphy, Modern Family

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I just found and LOVE the Avett Brothers. So sweet and cool.

Google Avett Brothers and the second listing is a bunch of their songs. The first one, called I and Love and You is really great, and you can listen to it - just click on it. I haven't heard the other songs on the list - just the 2009 album which I just love.

Also, I love Magnetic Fields and just saw them in concert last night. They have a 3-album set called 69 love songs which I bought for DH when we were dating (started with one of the cds, and we ended up getting the other 3). Really fun, smart, different. They are definitely not traditional love songs!

We have similar taste - I love Beck and the others you mentioned.

Also, what about Belle and Sebastian? Another favorite of mine.

Those are on the top of my list at the moment!

Edited to add one more of my recent (in the past few years) favorite: Bright Eyes. I LOVE I'm Wide Awake it's Morning, and Cassadaga.

And what about Wilco? Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (well, all their albums in my opinion) and their albums with Billy Bragg are fabulous. They are Woodie Guthrie words put to music.

These are all sort of in the alt country genre--
    Last edited by almostmom; 02-12-2010 at 10:02 AM. Reason: adding more!
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

Quote Originally Posted by boogiemomz View Post
    patty griffin is amazing, very raw, soulful folk style, amazing voice. also susan tedeschi.
    Thank you for the suggestions! I love me a good singer songwriter. I forgot to mention that I just love Amiee Mann.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Quote Originally Posted by almostmom View Post
    I just found and LOVE the Avett Brothers. So sweet and cool.

Google Avett Brothers and the second listing is a bunch of their songs. The first one, called I and Love and You is really great, and you can listen to it - just click on it. I haven't heard the other songs on the list - just the 2009 album which I just love.

Also, I love Magnetic Fields and just saw them in concert last night. They have a 3-album set called 69 love songs which I bought for DH when we were dating (started with one of the cds, and we ended up getting the other 3). Really fun, smart, different. They are definitely not traditional love songs!

We have similar taste - I love Beck and the others you mentioned.

Also, what about Belle and Sebastian? Another favorite of mine.

Those are on the top of my list at the moment!

Edited to add one more of my recent (in the past few years) favorite: Bright Eyes. I LOVE I'm Wide Awake it's Morning, and Cassadaga.

And what about Wilco? Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (well, all their albums in my opinion) and their albums with Billy Bragg are fabulous. They are Woodie Guthrie words put to music.

These are all sort of in the alt country genre--
    Wow, Thanks for the great recommendations. I will check them out. Love Woodie Guthrie, would be very interesting to see his words sung by a more modern band.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

I did the same thing recently. Turning on vh1 in the morning is a good way to find music that is adult but not full of swearing.

Daughtry is a favorite band of mine; I've followed them since the lead was on American Idol. You also might like One Republic. 'Apologize' and 'All the Right Moves' are two of my favorites from them.

Mother to a precious little Kitten

I never think of VH1 b/c I don't have the tv on for me when the kids are awake and then when they go to bed, I catch up on news/cooking shows. But maybe I should turn it on after they go to bed while I'm surfing the BBB! I'm almost never in the car wo/the kids, so either it's kids music or NPR on the radio.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Have you tried Pandora Radio? Its a great resource to find more music that is comparable to the bands you already like.

Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.
    --Dr. Seuss

Penelope Grace
    Born 02.25.2010

catpagmo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

A couple of my faves are Silversun Pickups (I love their album "Carnavas") and Brandi Carlile's "Give Up the Ghost". She's a singer/songwriter, and is really good, IMO.

www.brandicarlile.com - make sure your speakers are turned on. One of her songs will start playing automatically.
    DD 12/05
    DS 02/09

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."

~Franklin D. Roosevelt

Another vote for Chris Daughtry. Not sure I would classify him as alternative, but definitely rock.

I've liked both of his albums.

I also really like David Cook (also from American Idol). Both guys are just good musicians, which is honestly the top criteria for me with any type of music.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast