Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kmillini View Post
    It was really bugging me last night that I couldn't find anything on the internet about where the furniture was made. So, I e-mailed Big Lots. They e-mailed me back today. They said that it was made by United Furniture. I don't really know anything about them and I haven't had time to look them up today. Just wanted to let you know.
    lol - that is awesome! thanks so much for doing the leg work!

Quote Originally Posted by shawnandangel View Post
    And OUCH. The BBB gives United Furniture a "F" rating

http://www.bbb.org/edmonton/business...id=&gen=&lid=1
    ouch is right - thanks for the link! i think i found a chain that sells this couch (and big lots has last years model?) as their own brand. ashley furniture sells them for $999. http://www.ashleyfurniture.com/Showr...eyword=3535367

and it looks a lot like this one from united furniture http://www.unitedfurnitureindustries...24015096091003

and here is the big lots one...

thanks bbb ladies for helping me solve this mystery!

Default ? for kijip

Quote Originally Posted by kijip View Post
    If I am not mistaken, those cushions on the back look like the attached kind. I would take a pass.
    what's the problem with attached cushions? is it a cleaning thing?

i was thinking that might be a good thing... the kids won't be able to pull them off.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by urquie View Post
    what's the problem with attached cushions? is it a cleaning thing?

i was thinking that might be a good thing... the kids won't be able to pull them off.
    They are harder to clean, the stuffing often gets lumpy and can't be reshaped or plumped like a regular pillow and in the cheap sets I have seen (think bought from Fred Meyers and similar stores), the stitching that attaches the cushion looking part to the back gets pulled on by the way it is sat against and gets ripped or unraveled. All of the used sectionals I have seen with attached cushions have the ripping/unraveling thing going on. I think it is a function of being cheap- ie if they are cutting enough corners to want to save $$ on fabric by doing all attached, then they aren't putting a lot of effort into the overall quality. I am sure there may be some high end stuff where nicely sewn cushions are made and then connected, but it's most common that attached cushions= cheap.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Karenn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The couch in the top picture by Ashley furniture looks almost identical to the one we got at Costco just a month or two ago for around $600 (maybe $700.) They might still have it at a Costco somewhere, and they have a much better return policy on furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by Karenn View Post
    The couch in the top picture by Ashley furniture looks almost identical to the one we got at Costco just a month or two ago for around $600 (maybe $700.) They might still have it at a Costco somewhere, and they have a much better return policy on furniture.
    costco would sure be convenient for me! they didn't have it at my local one though (two days ago). any chance you have the item number... then i could call around. do you happen to remember if there was a choice on which side the chase sits?

Quote Originally Posted by kijip View Post
    They are harder to clean, the stuffing often gets lumpy and can't be reshaped or plumped like a regular pillow and in the cheap sets I have seen (think bought from Fred Meyers and similar stores), the stitching that attaches the cushion looking part to the back gets pulled on by the way it is sat against and gets ripped or unraveled. All of the used sectionals I have seen with attached cushions have the ripping/unraveling thing going on. I think it is a function of being cheap- ie if they are cutting enough corners to want to save $$ on fabric by doing all attached, then they aren't putting a lot of effort into the overall quality. I am sure there may be some high end stuff where nicely sewn cushions are made and then connected, but it's most common that attached cushions= cheap.
    i'm in serious need of couch shopping education! i've never bought a new one before.

ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

http://www.la-z-boy.com/Product/5521...fin-Sectional/

We have this sectional and it is a DREAM. An investment but worth it to me.

Karenn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by urquie View Post
    costco would sure be convenient for me! they didn't have it at my local one though (two days ago). any chance you have the item number... then i could call around. do you happen to remember if there was a choice on which side the chase sits?
    I know there wasn't a choice on which way the chaise sits. I don't think I still have the item #, but I'll look around a bit. I might have tucked it away somewhere.

ETA: OOh, I also just remembered, Penny's also had a very similar looking couch in their furniture department a couple of weeks ago. I think it was closer to $800 though.

And one more thing- on the costco couch the chaise is on the opposite side than it is the Ashley couch in the picture.
    Last edited by Karenn; 02-10-2010 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karenn View Post
    I know there wasn't a choice on which way the chaise sits. I don't think I still have the item #, but I'll look around a bit. I might have tucked it away somewhere.

And one more thing- on the costco couch the chaise is on the opposite side than it is the Ashley couch in the picture.
    ohhh - that would work for me! i can only do the sectional if the chaise is on the right side.

costco has such a great return policy - i'd love to buy through them!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast