TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default New Infantino mei-tai style carrier

http://www.infantino.com/Carriers/Wrap_Tie_Carrier.php

Saw this in Target yesterday. Has anyone tried it out yet? It look sort of like a mei-tai or other soft structured carrier. I might give it a try if the Beco I ordered does not work out.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

It is a Mei Tai Baby knock-off. No buckles, so it's not a SSC.

Have you tried it or read any reviews?
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I think it's a HUGE improvement over their previous carriers & it's nice to see a mei tai sold at Target!

I've heard a little about this at thebabywearer.com (the huge babywearing forum) and reviews are surprisingly positive in terms of the quality of the carrier. Apparently it is very very very similar to another well-known mei tai which is sold by a small company, Catbird Baby. The owner of that company says they they *bought* one of those carriers 2 years ago and have replicated it - she's pretty upset. She charges $80+ per mai tai which is a typical price. So having Infantino make a much cheaper mass-market version is upsetting to many in that community.

I don't know. Infantino's reputation for safety is not the best, though this carrier seems fine. I'm not thrilled they recommend the front-facing carry, it's really well-established that that is not a good idea in a soft carrier like this one. But if it was reasonably priced and I already didn't have a mei tai (OK, 3 of them) I'd definitely be tempted.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

I'm going back today or tomorrow to see if it is still there (my Target only had 1 on the shelf). From what I have read on TBW forums, it seems to be safe and well-constructed. While I would rather support a small business/WAHM, I think this might be a good way to see if a MT or babywearing in general works for me before I invest in a nicer, more expensive carrier (if the Beco doesn't work out).

Funny enough I just seen this yesterday at Target. I was looking for reviews online on it.

A box was already open, so I tried it on, with my baby (she's only about 5 lbs-born at 4 lb 1 oz, last dr appt she was 4lb 14oz, 2 weeks ago). WOW I loved it.

I've been wanting to get a Baby Hawk for a while. I have a moby, and 3 Kangaroo pouches. I find the pouches are fine for me, but I'm getting sick and tired of every stranger and family member stopping me asking me if I am suffocating my daughter after all this news hoopla about slings killing babies. At the same time I had planned on getting a baby hawk any way, just because I thought it would be easier for a smaller baby then a sling. But, saving up the 100 dollars has been hard. But, finally got it saved, and am going to still buy the Baby Hawk (even though my husband said but you could have two of these at 50 dollars each, versus Baby Hawk at about 100).

I don't think Target is going to take too much market from WAHMs, because personally I'm still buying a baby hawk-good reputation, I can get the exact kind I want (colors/fabric), and I didn't like the big instruction thing on the inside of the one at Target.

At the same time, in a few weeks I'll probably get the one at Target though too to have a spare if I have to have this one in the wash. This is my second daughter, and I've learned you always need a spare! Also there is some people (me included at one point in time) that would never be able to save the 100 dollars for a WAHM mei tei. So now they will get to have the opportunity to use one too. Again to me that wouldn't be taking away from a WAHM business, as these people wouldn't be able to afford to buy from the wahm any way.

To me it seemed like the one at Target was excellent quality (coming from me who has had many kinds of carriers). It made me even more excited to receive my Baby Hawk since I've heard so much about their quality.

It also relieved my worries about if I would really like the baby hawk (100 dollars is a lot to spend if I didn't like it!). Especially because I had read a few reviews about Baby Hawk being hard to put on by yourself, with out a partner to help you. Well, I used the instructions in the box at Target and had it on and safe in about 2 minutes tops! I didn't think it was at all hard, and I did it all by myself! I can tell you it is about 100 times easier then putting on a Moby by yourself!

Any one actually buy the one at Target and like it? Let me know. Because like I said, I still may buy it next month as a back up carrier.

If I buy it, and use it, I'll be sure to come back and give my review on it.

AshleyAnn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Bumping this old thread for a review - I know its harder to find now that they have a new model but I'd like to keep things updated for those shopping for a used one.

I found this carrier at a cosignment store and HAD to try it on. My DD is 10 months old and weights roughly 20lbs and is quite wiggly. In the belly to belly carry I could not even feel the weight on me it was so supportive. It is definately much much better than some of thier other carriers. I have a bad back and have scoliosis and could not believe how comfortable and supportive the carrier is. I use a a good quality structured carrier but its getting too hard to buckle as she grows and my pouch sling has become less comfortable with the weight on one shoulder/hip so I really thought my baby carrier days were coming to a close but I can see me using this to 30+ lbs (weight limit of 35lbs)

Tying it could not be anymore simple. The straps have color coded labels on them and the body features a diagram of how to do a forward carry and a back carry. I found it to be second nature and very quick although I am quite petite and found I tripped on the waist straps if they are left dangling in front but I just wrap them around to my back and tie them in a cute bow (with a double knot behind Boo) I was able to do it in a parking lot on my second attempt without help.

For forward facing carrys it has an extra strap to go around the body that makes it thinner and easier to past thru baby's legs. I felt like I felt the weight more in the forward facing carry that the belly to belly but I only attempted it once and I'm not sure I had it tied all that well.

I attempted to back carry and found that a little nerve raking - I couldn't see the baby to determine how well she was positioned and the body is wide enough the shoulder straps kept slipping off my shoulders if I tied it thier way. I found a different way of doing it on the net I like better but I don't think I will be doing it much. I was able to do it alone at home but I can not imagine trying to do this in public/parking lot with out assistance.

I wish I had bought this when it first came out. I was scared of the unknown and let the ties intimidate me. This is a definate must have for all mommies who use carriers.
    Last edited by AshleyAnn; 09-13-2010 at 01:44 PM.