Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default ideas for bird/squirrel/nature lover themed party

i am beginning to think about ds1's 3rd bday in june. he is an avid nature boy. we feed the squirrels and birds on the deck and he is so in love with them and all things nature.

any cute ideas for games, favors in invites, etc? tia
    neeley

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We went to a party recently where the main activity was a nature walk, with a naturalist. Personally, I think you could make it work without the naturalist... Instead, how about doing some sort of scavenger hunt/bingo type activity? The kids could find a yellow leaf, a red leaf, a y-shaped twig, an insect, ect. You could even draw (find pictures) of these things and color-copy them so it is more age appropriate--'find the items you see on your card.'

For another activity/good bag item, have them peanut butter a paper cup and roll it in bird food. Put a yarn loop through the top and voila--a bird feeder!

I'm sure there are TONS of things to do with a nature theme--what a fun party idea!

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I like the pp's ideas! You can also get them bug catchers (the one with the magnifying glass on top) containers as part of their favor. If your house is in an area with a lot of wildlife that would be cool, but if not, do it at a local park and go on a nature walk and have the kids do a show and tell of their findings and make a nature table display (take a pic as a bday memory for your son). I think this is a really cool idea for a bday party. Such a change from the over-stimulating chuck e cheese type of parties. You can do trail mix as a snack too, lol.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

thanks for the reply. i LOVE the idea of a scavenger hunt with pic cards. i have seen these for sale on etsy. but they look super easy to make.

what about a dig for worms? my mind is spinning with this party!!! i just can't wait to have it.

we could also make those desserts with worms (gummy) hanging out of pudding and cookie crumbs on top. dirt cups?

keep the ideas coming.
    neeley

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We have a squirrel lovin' nature girl here too (see my siggie!). Last year we had a squirrel cake (a chocolate cake we baked and then had little acorns and squirrel designs on them - we were quite proud of ourselves)! To be honest, I never thought of incorporating a nature theme into the birthday party as well - I'm strictly a "here's the pizza and cake now go run around on the playground" kind of party planner! How about an animal pinata? Naturalist party favors of some kind (let me know if you have any bright ideas!) - perhaps seeds and a flower pot for each kid, or a mini butterfly garden if you have a small invite list. Sounds like a fun idea!

for Sandy Hook

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Those are great ideas - what a fun party!

one other thought I had - Michael's has some little unfinished wood birdhouses. You could paint them as the craft/activity and send them home as the favor. They would need to by poly'ed before going outside, but they are pretty cute. We use them as fairy houses, but since they are bird houses they might fit your theme!

I like the seed pack and flower pot idea also - and they could paint the pots as an activity. or a little watering can...

Have fun!

wow!!! so many good ideas. i can't wait until june.

we also decided to get earthworms at the bait and tackle shop and fill one of our beds with them, then cover the moist earth. what fun to catch as many as you can. sprinklers for after to wash off.

i love the idea of birdhouse project favors. we just got some birdhouses that we painted with acrylic paint for $3.50 each at ACmoore, they had a 1/2 off sale. i can start to stockpile them now with my coupons. seems like a reasonably priced favor. perhaps we could also make a bird food treat as well.

keep the great ideas coming.
    neeley

kayte is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

How about praying mantis eggs as a favor? Kids can hatch them at home and let them go in their yard. Or little mesh bags of ladybugs?

I did butterfly houses (that Melaine alerted me to on Woot) this year as favors at DD's party. They were a great success--- a bunch of the guest have let us know when their butterflies have hatched and they emailed us photos!

We one of these for birds, bugs and butterflies for our area and DD loves to use them--- They are laminated, and fold like a map.

http://www.amazon.com/Texas-Birds-In...750831&sr=8-12

I love the nature scavenger hunt idea and I too have been meaning to copy those sets on etsy.

If you wind up doing a squirrel theme-- you could make felted acorns or a bag of these would be fun (we have a big bowl of them that we put out in the fall--no one can walk by without touching them.)

http://www.caseyswood.com/shoppingca...products_id=48

Here's some more info on making felted acorns plus lots more acorn ideas...

http://knittingiris.typepad.com/knit...11/acorny.html

How about canvas bags with a notepad, pencils, a magnifying glass, disposable camera, etc... your own version of these

http://www.naturebag.com/
    Last edited by kayte; 03-04-2010 at 09:17 PM.
    Mom to Arwen (1/06), and two geriatric chihuahuas

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Some of the rec centers in our counties do these types of birthday parties, and they'll actually bring out animals (like reptiles) for them to hold.