View Poll Results: Would you interview if you were not sure you'd take the job?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 68.97%
  • No

4 13.79%
  • Depends

5 17.24%

Default Would you interview for a job that you are not really interested in?

A guy I know works at this large company that's for most part is not really exciting but it's typically a stable, much less stressful, normal hours type of a job. He told me about the upcoming opening, I said I'd be interested in learning more about it. When it did, he sent me the job description, it sounded like I'd be a decent match so I submitted my resume. I had the first interview over the phone on Tuesday, and I did good enough to be invited to inperson interviews this Friday. There is only one problem with the job, that came out at the very end of my interview - it's a new position with high expectations and I'd probably have to work ~10 hours per day (the head of department works 11-12 days per day) and supervise/train 5 'green' analysts, which is not exactly my idea of scaling back. I don't the salary but I don't think that it would be acceptable for the workload.

I also just got an enquiry from a well known company but it's in WA, and DH says he does not want to move up North. I wonder if I should even bother replying.
    Mom to DS born on Thanksgiving 2003

codex57 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Well, time to use that interview to find out exactly what the job entails. Since you're not sure you want the job, you really don't have much to lose.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
    Well, time to use that interview to find out exactly what the job entails. Since you're not sure you want the job, you really don't have much to lose.
    Kris

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
    and practice in interviewing. Even if you've been to several laterly, you never know what questions they'll throw at you.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

I started a new job a few weeks ago. When they called me to schedule my first interview, I wasn't really interested in the position at all but I wasn't going to turn down an opportunity in this market. Well, I went on the interview and absolutely fell in love with the people, the organization, everything. I just felt like I belonged there. By the time I left the office, they were my top choice by far. Luckily they felt the same way about me.

It never hurts to take a meeting. You don't know what might be waiting for you.

Sarah

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I voted depends. If it was local, then yes, I probably would. Just because you never know what doors might open through an interview, even down the road, for a different position. Or maybe they might like you so much that they could alter the hours or let you come on part time or something.

But I don't think I'd travel to interview or go to one that was in a place I was unwilling to move, you know?

I went on an interview for a job I DID NOT WANT in my early 20s.

The job was in Brooklyn, and I SO did not want to work in Brooklyn. I went on the interview just to have more interviewing experience under my belt ( I already had another FIRM job offer that I planned on accepting).

I went, and wound up working there for the next ten years.

Thank you for you prospective, ladies. As always you have great insights. I agreed to the inteviews tomorrow because you just never know what opportunities they might open up, and not to put the guy who put a word in for me into a tough spot. And than I received details of the interviews and freaked out - I'd have to talk to 8 people over 3 hours. I knew about the total duration but had no idea they'd have 2 people interviewing me at the same time. It'll be an interesting experience to say the least.
    Mom to DS born on Thanksgiving 2003