Default Do They Make Straps for Bike Pedals?

Dd#1 is expressing interest in trying to ride her bike (with training wheels) again. She never got the hang of pedaling her tricycle, then WAY outgrew it. She really wants to learn to ride her bike, but DH and I both think she needs something to help keep her feet on the pedals.

Does anyone make/sell straps to help keep her feet on the pedal? If so, where do I find them?

Thanks,
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

Where the Army sends us...today it's Washington

You mean like the kind you use in cycle class? I didn't see anyone that looked like they would fit on a smaller bike. What about using a thicker rubber band, or a piece of velcro from Michael's?
    -Lauren

DS 3/08
    DD 3/09

They do make straps for bike pedals. They're designed to go with cages that you put your toes into. I don't know if they make kid's sizes but it wouldn't matter; you could just cut off the excess.

Like these (click):

These will work if there are holes in the pedal where you could feed the straps through, but then some Velcro straps might be cheaper and easier like bluestarfish18 said.

Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.
    --Dr. Seuss

Penelope Grace
    Born 02.25.2010

That sounds dangerous to me. Doesn't she need to be able to put her feet on the ground if she loses her balance? I remember as a kid I always had trouble keeping my feet on the pedals if I was wearing shoes with totally flat soles. I needed the front edge of the heel part (hope that makes sense) to keep my foot on the pedal as I pushed forward.
    Lindsay

DD 12/06
    DS 08/09

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ljackson View Post
    That sounds dangerous to me. Doesn't she need to be able to put her feet on the ground if she loses her balance? I remember as a kid I always had trouble keeping my feet on the pedals if I was wearing shoes with totally flat soles. I needed the front edge of the heel part (hope that makes sense) to keep my foot on the pedal as I pushed forward.

I would be worried about a broken ankle or something. My kids managed to fall even with training wheels. They can turn the handlebars too sharply and completely topple the bike. I wouldn't want them attached to the bike when it fell.

If she's just trying to learn the pedal motion, what about a Big Wheel or something similar.
    Kris