Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Ikea Expedit as a room divider?

Does anyone use an Expedit for dividing a room and therefore not anchoring it to the wall? We are thinking of getting a 5x5 and a 4x2 and using them as toy storage in the basement and it would become a "wall" to divide the kid area to the storage area. No wall behind them to anchor them to and concrete on the sides.

Is this safe or should we figure a way to keep it from tipping? The 5x5 is the one we're worried about. The 4x2 would be horizontal and only 2 high.
    Kris

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

There's no way I'd use one without anchoring it to the wall. It's way too tempting to climb, and God forbid it tipped, it ways a ton.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

I think IKEA advertises it as a wall divider, so I think it would be ok, probably even the 5 high one. If not, you could downgrade to the 4x4, which I think would be definitely ok (assuming children do not climb it). I was just at IKEA two days ago, and have only skimmed the 2010 catalog, but I know they have a photo of Expedit in the first 10ish pages as a room divider; it's definitely the 4x4 or 5x4 and is in one of their "room scenes" (i.e. not just a photo of the item, but it in a whole scene.)
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JTsMom View Post
    There's no way I'd use one without anchoring it to the wall. It's way too tempting to climb, and God forbid it tipped, it ways a ton.
    That's my gut thought.

Quote Originally Posted by american_mama View Post
    I think IKEA advertises it as a wall divider, so I think it would be ok, probably even the 5 high one. If not, you could downgrade to the 4x4, which I think would be definitely ok (assuming children do not climb it). I was just at IKEA two days ago, and have only skimmed the 2010 catalog, but I know they have a photo of Expedit in the first 10ish pages as a room divider; it's definitely the 4x4 or 5x4 and is in one of their "room scenes" (i.e. not just a photo of the item, but it in a whole scene.)
    It is advertised as a room divider, but also says it needs to use the anti-topple devise.
    Kris

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I would just anchor into the concrete wall and/or floor.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

dcmom2b3 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have two 5x5 Expedits in an L formation as a combo tv unit/room divider btwn living and dining areas. Both units are anchored, the unit that extends into the room is only anchored on one (short) end, though. Not optimal.

I would be wary of using them in a basement play area unless very, very securely anchored. Their design just begs kids to climb.
    M-H

"Mombee" to my Bunny

A friend did this by using it as a bookshelf/devider and it looks amazing - but she doesn't have kids.

I would do it only if there was a way to anchor it somehow.
    Dena

Super Crunchy Mama to:
    ('06) The big guy

('09) The little guy

('12) and the diva

Learning to live with MSPI, FPIES and Food Allergies.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Maybe it is because I live on a fault line but I would not use it as a room divider.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have vivid memories of a friend climbing a bookcase and it falling on him and breaking his arm at a playdate when I was 5. Seems too tempting for kids climbing and running around.
    K

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would think you'd be able to anchor it to the concrete somehow. I know the anchor they sell with the 5X5 for the wall divider purpose is a large metal one.

I have a 5X5 in my craft room (on carpet), and even loaded with a lot of weight, it wouldn't be tough to tip it at all. I've never seen Jason attempt to climb it, but in the 2 days between DH building it and anchoring it (we had to modify it b/c of the baseboard sticking out too far), I kept the door to that room locked b/c it made me so nervous. It is SO darn heavy too, it would really crush a child, even without stuff in it.

I looove my Expedits, so I'd really try to figure out a way to make it work.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast