Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default FA and other allergy mama's...does your DC wear medic alert?

DS is allergic to penicillin. He is starting summer camp this summer. I was considering getting him some sort of medic alert item to wear on him at all times. Anyone have any suggestions of what to get (that a 5 yr old will not take off)?
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DD is enrolled MedicAlert Kid Smart for her Autism. She wears a basic bracelet which has a special type of clasp that needs two hands to take on and off.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I thought about getting one for DS1 several years ago. He has warnings on his lunchbag and his epi pen bag. Since he has gotten older and most of his reactions are not as immediate as they were when he was younger, I haven't ever ordered one. MedicAlert is the way to go. Perhaps if he helps you pick it out he won't mind wearing it. They have many designs available.
    K

Clarity is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

No, not yet anyhow. She's just 18 months old though. Perhaps if her allergy persists into K-12. Right now she's only not with dh or I when she is at daycare and there we have a her picture posted at with a list of her allergens so that anyone who walks in the room knows immediately.
    big girl 6/06
    little girl 9/08

"I'm not stupid; I just don't stop to proofread." (PRM?)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My daughter isn't allergic to anything so I maybe completely wrong, but wouldn't any situation where an antibiotic like penicilin is needed need a parent's approval for it to be handed out? Or is this for overnight camp?
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm not sure how it works if they have to take your child via ambulance to the hospital though. Will they check for allergies first before administering something? I have no idea. I remember my brother wore a medic alert necklace as young kid on the advice of our ped. Of course, my ped is not in until next monday, but I will be calling to ask him about this. Each of DS's exposures to penicillin have gotten worse and I worry like crazy if a paramedic were to administer to him. I know they have it on file at the camp also.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

Clarity is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

The Kids with Food Allergies website has some suggestions for bracelets here: http://www.allergicchild.com/allergy...d_products.htm.
    big girl 6/06
    little girl 9/08

"I'm not stupid; I just don't stop to proofread." (PRM?)

nov04 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have MedicAlert too for dd1 for penicillin allergy, seizure risk and diagnosis. We chose it because its been around for ages and first responders/hospital can call for more info like Dr. phone #'s, etc. We'll be getting one for dd2 for asthma soon too.

Even if it was just for penicillin allergy, I would still have one. I won't take it for granted that I will always be able to speak for the girls, we could be in a car accident and I could be unconscious.
    Jos
    dd1 10/2004 prenatal stroke survivor w/ speech delay and dysarthria
    dd2 02/2007 asthma

Default s/o epipen carriers

Anyone have a favorite padded case for their epipen?

I know of some people using the JJB Bottle rocket for the epipen since its padded with thinsulate.

I'm not too worried about the one at daycare because it will be kept in a/c, but the one that will travel with me in the diaper bag (and theoretically with grandma) needs to be protected from light & extremes in temps.

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by tnrnchick74 View Post
    Anyone have a favorite padded case for their epipen?

I know of some people using the JJB Bottle rocket for the epipen since its padded with thinsulate.

I'm not too worried about the one at daycare because it will be kept in a/c, but the one that will travel with me in the diaper bag (and theoretically with grandma) needs to be protected from light & extremes in temps.
    Minor thread hijack:

I think one padded with Thinsulate would be great. Thanks for the JJB idea!

I stock my epi bag (just a makeup bag) the epi, and with Benedryl-To-Go spoon because the bottles always, always leak; a small (dixie) paper cup that is smooshed carefully to avoid holes so that I can squirt the Benedryl into it for the dosing; and a liquid medicine dosing syringe (no needle, the oral kind) with the correct Benedryl dosing point marked with a gold paint pen. I tried using Sharpie but it wasn't distinct and it wore off.

Now for the OP : Yes, my DD has food allergies and she wears the MedicAlert bracelet and has since 17 months. Actually, I'm ordering her a new one, because her allergies have changed and we are currently living in a Spanish speaking country. They will do it in Spanish for me!!! Also because we are overseas they have a collect-call number instead of the 1-800 number for the medical information. I love MedicAlert, totally worth the $$, which isn't much!, to join.

Even though I'm a SAHM and we are practically joined at the hip, I feel better with the bracelet. What if I had an accident or were unable to speak for her? The bracelet give me a little more peace of mind.

And for us it was non-negociable. I put it on her and for the first few days she wanted it off, then forgot about it. Now she has nearly outgrown it (and our babysitter seriously pi$$ed me off my removing it one night, I don't *care* if DD doesn't like it, she's wearing it anyway) so I'm letting DD pick her new one.

We get the stainless ones, FWIW.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast