SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Is this ok? Asking realtor advice if not planning to buy/ sell

We are pondering a few renovations and want to use our money, time and resources in a way that would be best for future resale. I have a casual friend that is a real estate agent. Would it be ok to ask him which project would be most valuable in our market or is that uncouth?

Beth

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don't see a problem with it.

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Could you ask your own real estate agent?
    I asked the agent who helped us buy our house a question a few weeks ago in regards to what she thought our home value was. She pulled some comps and did a little homework but it wasn't a huge favor. She was more than happy to help. I figured it was her way of helping out and putting her in a better position to earn our business if we were to ever sell our house.
    DD
    DS

codex57 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Most don't mind because, like Elektra said, it helps put them in a better position for you to remember them and use them when you finally are ready to sell or buy. Or you know people who need recommendations for agents.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Thanks. I decided to send the email and told him that it would be totally fine to tell me that he wasn't comfortable with it. I am just conflicted about what to do...would love to do both.

eta- I didn't think much of our agent and it has been about 6 years since we were in touch with her.

Beth

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I think it's ok to ask. But, if you ask three, you'll probably get three differing opinions!

Make sure that what YOU want and will enjoy is the most important thing, since you are thinking about moving soon.

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I don't think that is inappropriate at all if you have used the realtor or plan to use them. I hope your realtor is helpful!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009