Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Any conservative (not poliltical but old fashion) moms feeling like the odd man out?

My daughter, age 5 and 4 months attended a 6th b-day party for a friend today. The theme of the party was glamour, so they did make-up, painted nails, walked the red carpet, etc. When the b-day girl opened her gifts, there were lots of gifts from the store Justice and many toys that we never were into, like LPS and Zuzu. We have never shopped at Justice and my daughter does not watch movies like Hannah Montana or know who Taylor Swift or Miley Cyrus is. I think out of 18 girls my dd was the only one not into all these more mature things. I do not let her wear or play with makeup, but did at the party b/c she wanted to and I did not want to single her out. My dd still loves the Disney princesses, little people, playdough, etc. We still shop at Gymboree and Gap. Am I alone here? I figure they have their whole life to grow up, so why mature them so young these days? Anyone agree?
    Last edited by mykidsmom; 03-28-2010 at 11:49 AM.

This all seems a little surprising for a 6th birthday, but maybe I'm clueless. I wouldn't have even thought Justice sold 6yo clothes! I thought they were a tween store.

Did the other moms seem into it, I wonder, or were they just going along?
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

I completely agree with you that I wouldn't allow my DD1 to do any of that at age 5. If anything, I will not allow makeup/nail polish until she's at least 8-10 (still wavering on exact age). I remember being shocked a 2 year old was wearing nail polish at DD1's daycare.

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My DD is only 3, so maybe I'll need to answer when I really have a child that age, but I am trying to put all of that off for as long as possible too. They always have tons of Hannah Montana funtainers at Target and I have always just passed on getting them if those are the only kind left, even when I was specifically looking for a funtainer. I just don't want to have DD into that at age 3 you know? Not that Miley Cyrus is horrible or anything but I just don't want her so focused on glamour and all that so young.
    She does like to dress up in princess clothes but that is not bothering me.
    DD
    DS

We often have times like this around tv things. La's babysitter (admittedly, a new babysitter) was surprised that La isn't allowed to watch iCarly or Hannah Montana. I explained that I had one line from iCarly repeated to me by a 6 or 7 year old: "Oh my gosh, my life is over, Sam didn't kiss me!" Uuummm, yeah, my 5 year old doesn't need to be watching a show about 13 year olds thinking that their life is over because they didn't get kissed by a boy. And, like they always say, imitation is the sincerest (sp?) form of flattery.... and the LAST THING I want my child doing is imitating that mindset! (Thankfully, the babysitter found some kid shows on OnDemand, and she knew they met with my approval--and they spent 10 minutes in front of the tv and the rest of the time baking and drawing. Did I mention I ADORE our babysitter?).

We are a little different though, in that La is all about the "older" toys... largely because I made that happen the summer before kindy. She LOVES Littlest Pet Shop, and we transitioned from Little People to The Loving Family dollhouse stuff the Christmas before her 5th b-day. She would still play with LP if she had the chance, but I was ready for her to have something a little more "big kid", and she and I have more fun with that dollhouse, me playing the babies and her playing the mommy and daddy! .... We barely started on Barbies recently. She tells me that she doesn't like Barbies that show too much skin, "because she doesn't need to be like that. It makes God sad that Barbie is showing her body off like that." I was so pleased that she had come up with that conclusion all by herself. She knows Bratz aren't allowed at our house for the same reason!

For us, things like Littlest Pet Shop and The Loving Family dollhouse (and, soon, ZhuZhu I imagine) where a fine compromise to the toys/things some other kids have/do. She had a daycare buddy who came into class covered from head to toe in removable tattoos.... and when I say head to toe, I mean *everywhere* including the "tramp stamp". Little girl was raising her (already short) shirt, pulling down her (low rise!) pants, just to show off her "tats", thinking she was "all that" at THREE AND A HALF! I'd rather her play with LPS or LF dollhouse than beg to be covered in fake tattoos or thinking that Bratz clothes are fine, kwim?

For the (somewhat humorous) record, I'm known as the "picky" mom among my friends, because we are so conservative! They know certain toys aren't allowed, certain movies/shows may not be watched or re-enacted, and that I'm just generally trying to pretend we are back in the 80s when it comes to raising her!
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

We just went to a 3 year old party at a kids hair salon. They did nail painting, hair-do's with butterfly clips and glitter, lip gloss and dress up (tutus, boas, jewelry)-then they put on a fashion show. We don't do nail painting at home-but it was really cute and all the girls loved it!! Most of the gifts were geared towards a 3 year old but were princess themed. I didn't see any harm in it and it didn't seem like any of the other parents did either. I would be a little suprised by the Justice clothing but the rest of the party seems like fun.
    Mama to 5 wild ones

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

It's actually a documented marketing strategy (and cultural phenemonon) called KGOY ('kids getting older younger') or Age Compression.

Back in the 1980's...GI Joe's were marketed for 8-12 year olds. Now they are marketed for 5-7 year olds.

Same goes for girl toys.

Frankly it really bothers me, but I think if your kids aren't watching those TV shows then they won't be as affected by the marketing of it so participating in it on the fringes won't be as damaging.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't consider myself conservative, but I agree with you. My 7 year old dd is not allowed to do those things either...although I may "give" on the play make-up b/c I'm sure its just making her want it more. Honestly, I never understood about little girls playing with barbies either. Now that dd is in 1st grade it is harder for me to know what to do, as I know if I'm just stricter than other parents, dd will want it more or resent me more. Its also hard because many of her friends do have these things at their house, so I let her play with them there...but then her friends' house ends up seeming a lot better than our house...not exactly my goal!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

IME, the girls were dropping Disney princess like a hot potato by age 5-6. This phenomenon is well documented by Disney, who created Disney fairies in an effort to retain the girls who no longer liked princesses but who were too young for Hannah Montana.

As for glamour parties, they are fairly common from about age 5-8. The girls really do have such a good time together. I consider it a special treat kind of dress up.
    ETA: the girls had glitter for their hair, finger nail polish and lip gloss (no eye shawdow, mascara, blush, etc.).

I do not let DD1 wear makeup at home, but we sometimes paint nails together or I let her wear chap stick. She does wear makeup for her dance recital due to her fair complexion and the bright lights. I do not like the clothes in Justice overall. DD1 still wears Gymbo and Gap. She has received PJs from Justice as a gift that were perfectly fine.

LPS and Zhu Zhu pets did not seem grown up to me. No problem there. We never allowed the Bratz dolls or Barbies with skimpier outfits.

I started allowing DD1 (8) and DS (10) to occasionally watch iCarly this year. I do not let them see PG 13 movies like many of their peers; I research PG movies and decide on a case by case basis.

Overall, we are fairly conservative compared to our peers. It will definitely be more challenging to shelter DD2 with siblings so much older.
    Last edited by Melbel; 03-28-2010 at 08:11 AM.

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Honestly, we just don't go to parties like that and I can't think of a single friend Dc have who would have a party like that. So I guess if I DID have that occasion, I would feel strangely about it. However, I just try to avoid the whole thing altogether in the first place.
    Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast