Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Nail pop means they used (cheaper) nails when they should have used screws. DH says that sometimes they tack the drywall up with nails and then screw too. He said to just pound the nails back in and fill. If its under warranty, the builder should do it. If they are only doing 1 warranty repair visit (weird!), I'd just save them all up, KWIM?

DH says they are likely doing it at 11m b/c you have a 1y warranty.

I read your whole post to DH just now and he says that is poor workmanship. He said it sounds like they used nails exclusively (not just to tack to the studs) instead of screws (which are more expensive and take a bit longer to install, but if you watch Holmes on Homes, you know that that is the right way to do it).
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

DH said that popping could also be caused by installing drywall over wet studs -- wood can be sold "wet" (isn't supposed to be), and it shrinks, warps, etc.
    Melissa

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I'm wondering if you should call in a city/county inspector. It certainly doesn't sound up to code. Maybe they'd be able to advise you.

Do they inspect drywall installation there? DH d/n think they do here. They inspect the stuff behind it (plumbing, electrical, framing, foundation). Not 100% sure on that, but he's almost sure.
    Melissa

Here there is code about which thickness drywall should be used where, and how far apart the stud / ceiling joist spacing should be, type of fasteners, etc.

There are the specific electrical and plumbing inspections, but also general occupancy inspections too. I'm not saying that an inspection should have caught this as it isn't probably specifically inspected, I think I'd just want someone official involved at this point.

Something has gone awry, whether it's foundational or simply a bad drywall job, the building inspectors would have an idea. If codes weren't met, they'd be a good starting point to get the builder on the hook for bringing it up to code.

That is way too much settling. I'm curious who the builder is (I'm in ATL). We bought new construction in ATL several years ago and we did have some nail pops, but maybe a dozen or twenty max. I don't think we had any seam issues. We befriended the repairman and he would come over whenever we called. They didn't just save it all up, but I guess I wouldn't have minded if they did save up things like nail pops b/c those can take time to appear.

I would ask to have the caulk/grout repaired anywhere near water right away - bathroom/sinks/kitchen. I wouldn't want water getting into the cracks and as you know, we in the ATL get the beautiful roach crawling through any opening they can find. yuck.

Not sure the best answer re: painting and the fumes. If you can schedule it during a trip to visit relatives or something like that...if not, maybe do it when the weather gets a bit nicer and keep the windows open.

I've got nothing to add, except to echo that they should've used screws and you wouldn't have any nail pops. (This per a long ago discussion with DH when we did the drywall work in our basement ourselves--he worked constuction doing drywall for a bit in college.) That sure sounds like a lot of issues. And I don't see why they only have to come once. I get that they'd prefer that, but I'd be surprised if your contract specifies it. I'd check the contract if I were you. What if it were a major plumbing issue? Would they insist they could only come once and you had to wait until 11 months out?

Catherine

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks for all of the input. The builder will come out once for any one particular (non-urgent) problem, not once total. So, for the nail pops, they'll fix them one time, which in most cases, I'd understand b/c that way they can paint it all in one shot. My issue is that b/c it the number of pops is so excessive, I think they should be willing to fix it now- b/c honestly, it just looks really bad, AND be willing to come out again at the 11 month mark (and yes, the warranty is for 1 year). They'll do it now with no problem- they just won't come back.

I don't want to post the builder's name b/c they have so few communities, it would be kind of like posting my address, but if you're in the area, and want to know, PM me. They have a good rep, and are one of the few builders in the area that is still doing a good amount of business, but they are also really cheap when it comes to doing anything "extra". Our joke was, "Oh, you want your house to have electricity?! That will be an upcharge." LOL They nickle and dime the heck out of you.

On the screws vs. nails front- I agree with you guys that screws are preferred, but I think nailing and gluing is typical around here, especially in our price range. I don't know if it's a code thing- I doubt it. I do know that our county is notorious for inspections though, and that they do a ton of them, so it's possible. DH is calling our (private) inspector today to ask him what he thinks. Maybe I'll suggest that he call the county as well. My big concern is that it could be a foundation issue b/c we also have a few doors that are now not closing properly. I'm also concerned what the walls/ceilings are going to look like after they fix all of this. When we did our walk through, it looked like a blue tape paradise b/c they are so sloppy about things! Even after we came back a couple of times, they still missed spots.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JTsMom View Post
    DH is calling our (private) inspector today to ask him what he thinks. Maybe I'll suggest that he call the county as well. My big concern is that it could be a foundation issue b/c we also have a few doors that are now not closing properly. I'm also concerned what the walls/ceilings are going to look like after they fix all of this. When we did our walk through, it looked like a blue tape paradise b/c they are so sloppy about things! Even after we came back a couple of times, they still missed spots.
    Good idea about calling your inspector. They not only good for pre-buying inspections. I hope he can take a look and give you an idea of whether you should be worried or not about the foundation.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Great idea about calling your inspector. Some of them are fantastic resources, they know people.

You want to get into the LOCAL network of folks who know what the issue is, or know who can determine that. You need experts, pronto. It does sound like there could be a foundation issue, so the sooner the better!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast