Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

My 9 year-old has 20/40 vision (and has for the last year and half). He has singnificant trouble seeing the board or watching t.v. or movies. For him, this truly is a significant vision deficit, and he greatly benefits from wearing his glasses.

Today, his soccer coaches came over to tell me he was trouble seeing their hand signals from any further than 10 yards away. Though I am suprised by this, I will look into getting him presciption sports goggles.

For me, the fact that his visual impairment is minor does not matter; if he has trouble, than we do what we can to remedy it. That's all there is to it.

ETA: My son takes his glasses off for reading or close work. He doesn't need them for close work and he says he's more comfortable without them. We haven't had any trouble with him losing them. The nice guy who runs the optical shop we go to for glasses has a catch phrase that seemed to click with Jack: "On your face. Or in the case. No other place." He's been pretty good about following that rule.
    Last edited by lmintzer; 04-24-2010 at 07:21 PM.
    Lisa
    Mama to Jack (4/20/01)
    and Joshua (11/16/03)

1964pandora is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lmintzer View Post
    My 9 year-old has 20/40 vision (and has for the last year and half). He has singnificant trouble seeing the board or watching t.v. or movies. For him, this truly is a significant vision deficit, and he greatly benefits from wearing his glasses.

Today, his soccer coaches came over to tell me he was trouble seeing their hand signals from any further than 10 yards away. Though I am suprised by this, I will look into getting him presciption sports goggles.

For me, the fact that his visual impairment is minor does not matter; if he has trouble, than we do what we can to remedy it. That's all there is to it.

ETA: My son takes his glasses off for reading or close work. He doesn't need them for close work and he says he's more comfortable without them. We haven't had any trouble with him losing them. The nice guy who runs the optical shop we go to for glasses has a catch phrase that seemed to click with Jack: "On your face. Or in the case. No other place." He's been pretty good about following that rule.
    Yes, this isn't an issue for a 9 year-old . The question is whether you should correct a child under 5 who has 20/40 vision. Children's vision reaches full capacity at about age 5. Many 3 year-olds function quite well with 20/40 vision and it is probable that their vision will reach 20/20 by age 5 unless they have an eye defect. Some doctors will prescribe corrective lenses for the 3 year-old with 20/40 vision and no specific eye defect. That's what concerns me. I have no doubt in my mind that there are unscrupulous eye doctors in many malls in America along with the good ones. I think glasses can be absolutely adorable, but I don't know anyone who would choose glasses for their child unnecessarily. Glad to hear you had a good outcome, OP.
    Last edited by 1964pandora; 04-24-2010 at 08:06 PM.

Gotcha. You were talking about a child under 5.

I have a Kindergartener, also, who is 6 1/2. Kindy-aged kids range in age. Probably some of them are still in that "growing into their eyes/vision" phase and some with 20/40 vision at that point really need correction.

I'm also glad for the OP that everything worked out! : ) Trusting those Mama instincts is the way to go!
    Lisa
    Mama to Jack (4/20/01)
    and Joshua (11/16/03)

1964pandora is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lmintzer View Post
    Gotcha. You were talking about a child under 5.

I have a Kindergartener, also, who is 6 1/2. Kindy-aged kids range in age. Probably some of them are still in that "growing into their eyes/vision" phase and some with 20/40 vision at that point really need correction.

I'm also glad for the OP that everything worked out! : ) Trusting those Mama instincts is the way to go!
    Lisa, sorry, rude to quote you. Just want to keep it straight that I was referring to recommendations for the 5 and under crowd with "normal" 20/40. The OP's child is 4. I think it's sad, but I don't think we can just blindly trust the first doctor who says our 4 year-old needs corrective lenses. I wish we could.
    Last edited by 1964pandora; 04-24-2010 at 08:20 PM.

No problem. I didn't read carefully enough, either. I was thinking you were talking about all Kindergarten kids, and I was thinking, not all are that young. I'm sure you are correct about the under 5 crew still developing vision-wise.
    : )
    Lisa
    Mama to Jack (4/20/01)
    and Joshua (11/16/03)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3