Question How to remove Sharpie from clothing?

Yesterday DH was helping 6 mo. DS "sign" my Mother's Day card from DS using a SHARPIE MARKER (DH says it was the only thing fat enough for DS to grasp--men!). Not surprisingly, a little bit of Sharpie marker got on DS's outfit.

Any suggestions for removing Sharpie stains from clothing?

By the way, the card is totally adorable with DS's little scribbles all over it
    ~ Becca

DS: 11/09
    DC: Arriving 12/11

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Rubbing alcohol. If you don't have any, hand sanitizer can work in a pinch.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

AshleyAnn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Rubbing alcohol has worked for me in the past. Nail polish remover might do it too but is hard of the clothing.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

There's a gal on the ebay children's clothing forum who swears by this stuff called Motsenbockers...they make all types of stain removers. I think she found it at Lowe's and I know it's available online. I guess it's great at getting out ink and marker.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Here is your answer. I asked the same thing a while back when DD dotted herself and DS1 with a retractable sharpie. reply #3 gives details. http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...arpie+clothing

Thanks, everyone!

DH informed me that he already tried rubbing alcohol, but he didn't work at the stain very long. I'll give it a go myself following the instructions in PP link and see what happens.

Motsenbockers will be next on my list if rubbing alcohol doesn't quite do the trick.

Thanks!
    ~ Becca

DS: 11/09
    DC: Arriving 12/11

MissyAg94 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I recently got Sharpie ink out of a white shirt with Spray and Wash Dual Power. You have to be careful with using it on colors because it will fade the clothes if you leave it on more than the recommended time.

Rubbing alcohol or your grand-pappy's moonshine should do the trick. Acetone also works very well to remove Sharpie (better than alcohol, IME), but I wouldn't trust it on a piece of clothing. It might very well remove the fabric pigmentation too.

The problem with getting Sharpie out of fabrics is that they're so porous that the pigments get trapped inside the fibers. I would put some paper towels underneath your garment and pour alcohol directly on the stain allowing the paper towel to wick the ethanol through the fabric.

Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.
    --Dr. Seuss

Penelope Grace
    Born 02.25.2010

TG just used a red sharpie on her couch!
    I used rubbing alcohol. I think the trick is to dab the alcohol with one hand and then with the other hand dab with a dry towel.
    The alcohol will 'lift' the color and you need to dab it out or else it bleeds into the rest of the cloth material.

Good luck.
    Mom, Wife and Finder of lost items
    AP-er, Breastfeeder, Babywearing, No Circ Mama