Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ice Cream Maker WWYD for sleep-deprived mama

Hi, All!

I've been up for the last 4 nights (I think) with two sick kids, and I have no brain left. Help me decide what to do.

I got a cuisinart ice cream maker at Costco for $40, then scored one at BB&B for $25. The Costco box has two freezer bowls in it, the BB&B just has one.

I can't decide which one to take back. I know it's silly, but please help me!

The freezer bowl sells for $30. Does it really make a difference to have two?

TIA....
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

calv is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

darn, I was JUST at costco yesterday and wanted to look for this. i ordered the amazon one for $30, yet to arrive. i'd love 2 bowls!!!

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have had one with two bowls for several years, but for us one bowl would have been enough. If you are going to make ice cream multiple times per week, or if you want to make more than one batch at a time, then two bowls is nice, as it takes a while for the bowl to defrost so you can clean it, then you need to put it in the freezer it for a number of hours (can't remember how many) to refreeze. If the ice cream is going to be an occassional treat, then I think one bowl is sufficient.

bnme is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have never had a need for a 2nd bowl, but I only make ice cream about 4 times a year. The one bowl lives in my garage freezer.
    Donna

Mom to JT 1/03 and TJ 8/04

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Return the more expensive one.

Quote Originally Posted by JElaineB View Post
    If the ice cream is going to be an occassional treat, then I think one bowl is sufficient.
    This is where I'm having trouble. We only eat soy or rice ice cream, and I am tired of paying so much money every month for ice cream (DH eats ~90% and the kids the other 10%). This ice cream maker will, I hope, replace all this and allow me to eat ice cream too. (Not that I need it, but I'm allergic to guar gum and can't touch most ice creams.)

So I'm thinking it's going to get pretty heavy use. Is the extra bowl worth the extra $15? And why am I wasting so much energy on this?? I'm *tired*, dang it!

Anyway, thanks everyone for the advice.
    -Ivy

Do you have an extra freezer? If not, I say one bowl is plenty because those suckers take up room.

I have the single bowl and never use it. I need to stick the bowl back in the fridge to increase our chances. I took it out when I was storing EBM in there and needed the space and just never got around to putting it back in.
    Sweetie Pies, DS 9/2004 & DS 4/2008

Don't laugh, but I have a two bowl cusinart, plus a soft-serve ice cream maker with one bowl. I keep all 3 bowls on an unused ledge in my chest freezer so they're ready to go if the mood strikes. I like the two bowls. IIRC, they only hold a quart or two. I have some recipes that make double that amount, so I freeze it in two batches. Having the second bowl frozen and ready to go makes that pretty easy. And I actually have made more than one flavor of ice cream in one day
    Catherine

Mom to:
    DD#1 3/07
    DD#2 10/08

and "Bonus Mom" to:
    DSD
    DSS#1
    DSS #2

Quote Originally Posted by vejemom View Post
    Don't laugh, but I have a two bowl cusinart, plus a soft-serve ice cream maker with one bowl. I keep all 3 bowls on an unused ledge in my chest freezer so they're ready to go if the mood strikes. I like the two bowls. IIRC, they only hold a quart or two. I have some recipes that make double that amount, so I freeze it in two batches. Having the second bowl frozen and ready to go makes that pretty easy. And I actually have made more than one flavor of ice cream in one day

Oh, hey, this sounds fantastic! Maybe I should keep them both!!

-Ivy

calv is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

what did you end up doing?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast