Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Would you buy a used arm's reach mini co-sleeper?

I am pretty safety-concious and would never consider purchasing a used crib. Do you think the same safety concerns hold true for the mini arms reach co-sleeper? Or is that different because they are recent, short-time use items? I want a bassinet I can attach to the side of the bed for the first four months. I would be buying it from a city-wide parents organization bulletin board . . . so perhaps a tad more reliable than craigslist but still a stranger.

Let me know what you think - - saving $60 or $80 on it is not worth it to me if there is a safety risk . . .
    ds 2007
    dd 2010
    baby dd 2014

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I bought a mini cosleeper off CL for $80 when Arwyn was coming. It was great! It was not really used much.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

I did. The couple I bought it from took it apart in front of me, placed all of the nuts and bolts in baggies, and loaded it (and the straps, etc) into my car. It came with the instruction manual and two sheets. We saved quite a good deal of money and were able to buy a ClearVue mini for $80.
    Michelle
    Miss E: 2/25/2010
    Baby Noname: EDD 10/10/2016
    Naughty kitties: Leo, Billy, and Dora

Well, I did it and I'm generally pretty paranoid about safety (got rid of our non-recalled dropside crib, glass bottles, ds in carseat to age 6, etc). Ours was in good condition. I think my main concern would be how it has been stored as it does have a good bit of padded/fabric to it, which could harbor mold/dustmites/etc.

Catherine

i bought one for $75 on CL and it was great... used every night for the first 4 months. i got the sheet from the seller also, and never even bought an additional sheet because i used waterproof keep-me-dry bassinet pads on top of the sheet, so i never had to change the sheet. worked beautifully!
    big sister (11/09)
    little brother (1/14)

"I guess that's the real circle of life. Your parents faked their way through it, you fake your way through it, and hopefully you don't raise a serial killer." --Phil Dunphy, Modern Family

I have bought 2 of them used. First one I used with 2 kids, and then bought a second one used before having Andrew. If I had of known how wonderful it would be, I would have just paid full price on a brand new one the first time and saved some money in the long run

FWIW...I bought a full size both times, and used it till baby was nearly 1 year old.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

i would have definitely bought one on Craigslist, especially since i saw several that were in great condition for $50-$60 (regular price is $120-$150). plus, i wasn't expecting to cosleep for very long. however my DH was/is very much against buying used baby items for DS..he is not just paranoid about safety but just about germs etc, plus he thinks it just isn't worth it to buy something used. i ended up getting a new Arm's Reach Mini Cosleeper at my shower anyway. good thing cuz i think we only used it for 6 weeks, since my son was so big and liked his crib more.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 05-11-2010 at 05:39 PM.

brgnmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

my DH and I used the mini arm's reach co-sleeper for our DS and plan on using the same one for DC2. the co-sleeper will be a little over 4 years old when we re-use it with DC2, so I think I would personally buy a used arm's reach mini co-sleeper if I had no other options. The model tends to hold up well over the years. I would double check before purchasing the used co-sleeper, but would be okay buying a used one in good condition.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I bought the Arms Reach Regular size sleeper from Ebay. I have always heard that the Arms Reach products are very sturdy and well made. That has been my experience as well. So yes, based on my excellent experience, I'd do it again.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Yep, I totally would!
    Mama to Bumbee. A VERY busy girl...
    Making me a VERY Mama.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast